SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA The Continuing Tattoo Saga

• The Continuing Tattoo Saga

Posted by brianna-albers on January 22, 2019 at 10:00 am

If you’ve followed my column for a while, you know that I’ve been trying to get a tattoo for literal years. I know what I want, where I want it, and who I want to do it, but it all comes down to accessibility. I’ve visited several tattoo parlors, and while some of them were fairly accessible, none of the artists who worked there had the style I’m going for (an airy, minimalist design, as opposed to thick lines and bold colors).

I have my heart set on one artist in particular. She has my style down to a tee, and her Instagram page is full of tattoos I’d love to get. When I first found her a year ago, the parlor she worked at wasn’t accessible, but she said she was moving shop soon to a building that might be accessible. I said I didn’t mind waiting, so I emailed her in August after she moved to check in. She said the building wasn’t accessible, but that they were trying to make it accessible by 2019. By that point, I was pretty discouraged and gave up for several months. But I got bit by the new year’s resolutions bug a while back and came back to the fight energized.

The building isn’t accessible yet, which doesn’t surprise me in the slightest. According to the artist, there’s a short flight of steps, so I’m going to try and use my portable ramp—and, if that doesn’t work, have my dad carry my manual chair up the steps. I won’t be comfortable, and I’m sure it’ll be a little bit humiliating, but I’m determined to get this tattoo, and I’m determined to not settle for an artist I don’t love. I’ve asked her about setting up an appointment, so I guess we’ll see what happens! I’ll keep you all updated.

At this point, I’m just frustrated by the empty promises. I’ve had several parlors tell me they’re planning on making the building accessible by a certain date, which I realize is a huge undertaking—if something prevented them from getting it done, I would understand, and I would appreciate the fact that they at least tried. But none of the parlors have made any attempt to follow through on their promise, which makes me feel like I’m being strung along.

Has something similar happened to you? How do you deal with inaccessible buildings or establishments that promise accessibility without delivering?

krystal replied 5 years, 3 months ago 6 Members · 10 Replies
  • 10 Replies
  • ryan-berhar-2

January 22, 2019 at 5:39 pm

That’s such a bummer. The tattoo studios around here are either flat out inaccessible, or they’re old and somewhat inconvenient for wheelchairs. With the one i go to, I have to go through the back door. It’s a little annoying, because there’s this other business back there, but it works. Not sure why, but it seems like tattoo places are like that in general. I definitely agree with you on not settling when it comes to tattoos. Just an idea… maybe you could offer to pay extra and have her come to your home (I’m assuming it’s in the area). Never hurts to ask. Trying to think outside the box.

• brianna-albers

January 24, 2019 at 5:40 pm

It’s so frustrating! Though I’m glad you’ve been able to find a workaround – it doesn’t sound ideal, but at least it works for you! And that’s a good idea! My only concern is that she hasn’t seemed very open to alternatives. I’ll probably ask, but my main concern is that she’ll get frustrated with me and everything will fall through.

• ryan-berhar-2

January 24, 2019 at 9:45 pm

Yeah I mean you don’t want to be too pushy. Hard to say. Best of luck either way!

• halsey-blocher

January 22, 2019 at 9:11 pm

I would say a lot of tattoo shops where I live are not accessible either. I got lucky and the artist I wanted worked in a very accessible a open shop. I’m sure it’s one of the only ones. I hope you are able to figure it out! I know I have loved having a tattoo, and I always encourage it if it’s something you really want.

• brianna-albers

January 24, 2019 at 5:42 pm

Thanks so much, Halsey! I appreciate it. I’ll be sure to keep everyone updated!

• deann-r

January 23, 2019 at 11:02 am

Luckily the local tattoo shops are accessible where I live and the designs I chose didn’t really require a specific artist.  I would think that the tattoo shop would accommodate you by allowing the artist to tattoo you in an alternate location.  Maybe an accessible shop would let her use their location as a guest artist or something.  Heck, some artists will do it in your home like Ryan said.  I would certainly inquire about alternative options.  If the artist isn’t willing to accommodate you I would really look into choosing someone else.

Two businesses where I live actually did move to accessible locations.  Of course I’d like to think I had something to do with it, but probably not.

• brianna-albers

January 24, 2019 at 5:49 pm

Unfortunately, I don’t really feel comfortable choosing someone else, as I’ve looked into most of the tattoo shops in MPS and none of the artists have a compatible art style. I’m going to email the artist though and see if she’s willing to accommodate me somehow – fingers crossed! I’m so glad things worked out for you though. Gives me hope that something positive can come out of this experience!

• kelly-miller

January 24, 2019 at 12:08 pm

Brianna, I’m in total agreement with Ryan & Deann about asking her to come to your home. I actually had someone come to mine to give me my last tattoo, and it worked out perfectly for both of us. I was comfortable in my chair and my own setting, and she ended up getting several customers who were friends of mine. I had asked her if she would consider doing a couple of people while she was here, and I invited 4 others I knew wanted tattoos or brush-ups. It turned out being a financially productive day for her instead of a waste of time without being at her shop. I say go for it – the worst she can say is no. I personally would make getting out of my chair the very last resort because you need to be absolutely comfortable and sitting in your usual way in order to get it done. If your arm (or whatever part you’re getting tattooed) is slightly off because you’re in your manual chair, it could end up looking lopsided when you’re sitting in your regular chair. Just something to think about.

Is this your 1st tattoo?

• brianna-albers

January 24, 2019 at 5:52 pm

That’s a great point about the tattoo being slightly off – I’m usually situated pretty well in my manual chair, but it’s something I’ll definitely keep in mind if I end up going that route. I’m glad your tattoo worked out well though! I bet the artist thought twice the next time someone asked them to accommodate. 😂 And yes, it’s my first!

• krystal

January 25, 2019 at 8:59 am

I do not have SMA but I do have a fairly large tattoo on my back that’s colored. If you have any questions about my experience you are welcome to ask! I am sure someone will be able to accommodate you 🙂