SMA News Forums Forums Assistive Technology Controlling Lights With My Echo Show

• Controlling Lights With My Echo Show

Posted by kevin-schaefer on July 2, 2018 at 9:00 am

9D78B40C-AB95-47D5-B773-8BD2F573234D 

Check out the above video to see my Echo Show in action. I finally got it setup to control the light switch in my room, and I love it! I have so much more independence by being able to turn my lights on and off with just a simple voice command.

Just last night I was watching Netflix when a friend texted me and wanted to talk. When I watch tv and movies, I have all the lights in my room turned off so as to create a more theatrical environment.

Don’t judge me. The glare from the lights is annoying.

Now, normally I’d have to go get my dad or someone to turn my lights back on, but now I have that ability to do it myself. I was able to pause Netflix and turn my lights on through my Echo Show, and from there I could talk with my friend. Technology like this can be pretty great.

If you haven’t yet acquired an Amazon Alexa device, I highly recommend you do. Just the little bits of independence it can provide make life significantly easier. I’m also happy to answer any questions you have about them.

kevin-schaefer replied 5 years, 9 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • deann-r

July 8, 2018 at 6:09 pm

Sometimes I’ll leave things until I absolutely have to because it’s such a hassle to either get someone to do it, or beckon my service dog. I’ve been known to sit in the dark, and not just becase a movie is playing.  Not anymore! I can just have Alexa turn the lights on.  Love it.  Totally agree with you, movies are better in the dark though.  Btw, if you did the smart bulbs you can also have Alexa put them at 50% or wherever you want in between!

• kevin-schaefer

July 8, 2018 at 6:45 pm

Right! It’s amazing how it can help with little things like that. And I’m glad I’m not the only one who watches movies in the dark haha.

And wow that’s awesome! I’ll definitely check that out too.