SMA News Forums Forums Treatments and Research COVID-19 and SMA Coronavirus, a Tangled Web it Weaves

• Coronavirus, a Tangled Web it Weaves

Posted by deann-r on April 21, 2020 at 2:00 pm

A story comes to mind when I think of our current Coronavirus situation. One Easter Mom turned our porch into a tangled web of string. Each string led to an Easter basket. When my sister’s family arrived everyone would choose a string and untangle their way through the mess to retrieve their basket. While we waited for my sister, Dad grew frustrated. He couldn’t access the outside door through the porch. Welcome to my world.

On a daily basis I run into things I can’t access. But guess what, there was another door he could use. Sure, it’s harder to get to and is the long way around but it gets you to the same place. As I pointed this out he grumbled, but used the other door. When you have a disability you have to figure out alternatives.

Soon enough my sisters family arrived. Everyone chose their string. How did I participate? Simple, when you let everyone go first, the path to the basket is a straight shot. Plus, it’s fun watching everyone else trip over each other. Some even getting more entangled as they rush hastily toward their baskets.

Of course the Coronavirus is more serious than a silly little game, but there are many parallels. When the world doesn’t look like you think it should, don’t get bent out of shape, look for alternatives to get where you’re heading. Awareness helps navigate the situation. If you formulate a plan it can help in maneuvering through the web. Take it slow to prevent missteps and becoming more entangled. Finally some of us might have to sit back longer while others navigate through it first. In the end the goal is the same for everyone, to get through it. I’m confident we can. What a tangled web you weave COVID-19.

How are you navigating through the Coronavirus?

alyssa-silva replied 3 years, 12 months ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • alyssa-silva

April 21, 2020 at 5:59 pm

Nice analogy! Instead of looking ahead, I’m really trying to take things one day at a time. Otherwise anxiety will creep up on me.