SMA News Forums Forums Treatments and Research COVID-19 and SMA Covid Vaccine Updates?

• Covid Vaccine Updates?

Posted by alyssa-silva on January 11, 2021 at 7:00 am

I have to admit I’m a bit frustrated about my state’s vaccination plan. There isn’t much information readily available. I have absolutely no idea when it will be my turn, how I would even obtain such information, where I’d have to go, etc. The list goes on. Does the state you live in have better plans in place? Do you have the resources to obtain such information?

alyssa-silva replied 3 years, 3 months ago 4 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • kip-troendle

January 11, 2021 at 11:03 am

Isn’t it frustrating?!?  Luckily my parents (being essential caregivers) were able to get their first dosage last week.  The clinic said they have no further information on the next roll out.  C’mon people!  Lets get cracking!  Ya know Alyssa, if you’d quickly commit a major crime, they’d vaccinate you in prison right away!  Shameful!  I’m not saying prisoners shouldn’t be vaccinated!  My 96 year old (law abiding) grandma should maybe come before someone on death row?

• lupa-f

January 11, 2021 at 8:35 pm

If she’s 96 there’s absolutely no reason she shouldn’t have been in the first batch. The guidance was healthcare workers and anybody over 75.

But the reason they’re doing prisoners is they’ve been huge sources of outbreaks because everybody is crammed in there. And that gets people who work there or are going to be released infected who then bring it home and cause more outbreaks. My state lists prisoners in the second set along with many groups of essential and front line workers. The first set was the group I said above.

• alyssa-silva

January 12, 2021 at 10:21 am

Yes, same with my grandparents! Everything is so backward, and it seems as though no one knows what is going on. I’m also frustrated by the number of people who have received it and aren’t yet qualified in phase 1. This has happened quite a few times in RI simply because they know someone working in the clinics. I’m sure it’s happening in other states too.

Kip, how did your parents prove they are caregivers? I’d love for my caregivers, which includes my mom, to get the vaccine but I’m not sure how they prove their eligibility.

• kip-troendle

January 12, 2021 at 6:11 pm

Our local clinic and hospital, sends homecare to me M-F to help with morning cares and give my mother a break.  So they were aware of my parents being primary caregivers.  If I were you, I’d call whoever gives you the seasonal flu shot, and ask if they perhaps have a list for independent caregivers.  Many nurses and caregivers in my area are electing to NOT take the vaccine yet.  Hopefully independent caregivers and parents of disabled people could fill those spots.

• alyssa-silva

January 13, 2021 at 9:47 am

Interesting! Thanks for the info!

• mike-b

January 12, 2021 at 6:46 pm

I received my first dose of the vaccine from my primary care physician yesterday. His office had started a “high risk” list of existing patients weeks ago. My parents, age 70+ received theirs from the county health department.

• alyssa-silva

January 13, 2021 at 9:46 am

I am so happy to hear that! How exciting. (Who would have thought a shot would be exciting in 2021?!) My physician said the office isn’t equipped to store the vaccine yet and probably won’t be for a long time. I’m not sure where I’ll get it when it’s my turn.