SMA News Forums Forums Assistive Technology Crockpot Cooking

• Crockpot Cooking

Posted by deann-r on July 24, 2019 at 11:30 am

Halsey, great column! If you haven’t had a chance to read it yet, please check it out. Halsey writes about not letting SMA get in the way of her passion of cooking and how something as simple as a crockpot has helped her continue her hobby. Reading the article I could relate to so much. Many folks find it odd I watch the Food network despite my feeding tube. I’ve learned how dangerous hot food from the microwave can be. Plus I think crockpots are amazing. Mom and I happen to love being able to throw things in the crockpot when I’m there to visit. I’d love to hear some favorite recipes! Here’s one of mine:
    Brown 1 lb of sausage (I prefer spicey)
    Into the crockpot add 2 packages of cream cheese and 1 can of Rotel Tomatoes & Green Chillies along with the sausage and turn it on low stirring occasionally. Makes a great dip with tortilla chips for any occasion (especially the Superbowl).

halsey-blocher replied 4 years, 8 months ago 3 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • ryan-berhar

July 24, 2019 at 7:08 pm

Crockpots are the bees knees. I don’t cook, but I like them because they cook tender food typically.

• halsey-blocher

July 25, 2019 at 8:40 pm

DeAnn, if you ever need a recipe let me know! My favorite to make (and eat) is creamy ranch chicken with angel hair! Ryan, I totally agree with that! The crockpot is usually the only way to make tougher meats like pork tender enough for me to eat.

• deann-r

July 26, 2019 at 9:29 am

Yes! If you have any favorite recipes please share. Ranch chicken & pasta sounds amazing.

• halsey-blocher

July 26, 2019 at 9:58 pm

<p class=”p1″><span class=”s1″>Creamy ranch chicken with pasta</span></p>

<ul class=”ul1″>
    <li class=”li3″><span class=”s3″>4-6 boneless skinless chicken breasts</span>
    <li class=”li3″><span class=”s3″>1 oz pkg ranch dressing mix</span>
    <li class=”li3″><span class=”s3″>8 oz pkg cream cheese softened and cubed</span>
    <li class=”li3″><span class=”s3″>10.75 oz can cream of chicken soup</span>
    <li class=”li3″><span class=”s3″>Optional: prepared angel hair pasta</span>

<li class=”li3″><span class=”s3″>Place your chicken in the bottom of your crock pot</span>
      <li class=”li3″><span class=”s3″>Evenly put your cream cheese cubes, ranch mix and soup all over your chicken</span>
      <li class=”li3″><span class=”s3″>Cover and cook on low for 2-4 hours</span>

<span class=”s3″>Remove your chicken from your crock pot and place on top of a bed of angel hair pasta, if desired </span>

<span class=”s3″>5. </span><span class=”s3″>Mix your sauce in your crock pot until smooth and spoon over chicken and pasta </span>

If you try it, let me know what you think! Hands down my favorite one I’ve made!

• deann-r

July 28, 2019 at 9:25 pm

Halsey, tried it over the weekend and it was yummy! We added rice and skipped the pasta but it was still good.

• halsey-blocher

July 29, 2019 at 9:09 pm

Glad you liked it! I can definitely see rice being a good option as well!