• Sponsored Post

Planes, Trains, & Accessible Travel With SMA

Talk to your doctor to determine if you or your child is fit to travel.

Traveling with a child is never easy. Traveling with a child in a wheelchair is an extra challenge. The first time Leah flew on an airplane, she was six months old, almost a year before she was diagnosed. We have always been a traveling family and once she was diagnosed, we were both hopeful and determined that it wouldn’t hold us back.

I have always flown with Leah by myself, just the two of us. Call me crazy; it’s OK, I am. There are some things we have learned that have made it so much easier for us.

• This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Kevin Schaefer 1 year, 3 months ago.

• Author
       Kevin Schaefer 
      Keymaster

This weekend I went to a friend’s wedding, and I’m not lying when I say that I killed it on the dance floor. I got talking with this girl who was sitting next to me at the reception, and when it came time to dance I went into ultimate show-off mode.

As I’ve written about multiple times in the past, I use a JACO robotic arm to help me with things like eating, drinking and picking stuff up. It’s also a great tool for impressing people at parties, weddings, etc. I don’t have a picture unfortunately, but I raised my JACO arm up in the air and had my dance partner put her hand on it. From there she used it to spin around, and we’d move at the same time if we were going across the dance floor or whatever. She knew what she was doing far better than I did, so that made it much easier. Yet between both of our moves, we attracted quite the amount of attention from everyone there.

I know it’s easy to feel awkward at dancing events when you’re in a wheelchair, but I’d really encourage you to embrace it and show off your moves. I had a great time, and my dance partner was totally chill. If you can just get over that initial anxiety about sticking out and all, weddings and dances can be a great opportunity to meet people and have fun. Plus, everyone is drunk anyway at a wedding reception, so no one cares how awkward you look.

Ryan Berhar 
      Keymaster

I have to say this is one of those things I avoid at all costs haha.

Kevin Schaefer 
        Keymaster

You should give it a try man! It’s really fun. The advantage too is that at weddings everyone is awkward and has no idea what they’re doing. It’s a good opportunity to just let loose and have fun.

Maybe this will give you a little inspiration: https://www.pinterest.com/amp/spinalpedia/wheelchair-dancing/

Ryan Berhar 
          Keymaster

I just don’t like those kinds of environments. Mostly because they’re too loud for me to be heard. Glad you had a good time though!

Kevin Schaefer 
          Keymaster

I gotcha man. Fortunately it wasn’t so crowded that it was impossible to hear. Still, I understand that problem. With our muscles it can be really hard to project in a loud environment.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2019 KLEO Template a premium and multipurpose theme from Seventh Queen

CONTACT US

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Sending
    or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account

Copyright © 2017-2019 All rights reserved.