SMA News Forums Forums Our Community 31 Days of SMA 2021 31 Days of SMA 2022 Day 17 of #31DaysofSMA: Why I Have Vowed to Fight for Change

• Day 17 of #31DaysofSMA: Why I Have Vowed to Fight for Change

Posted by kevin-schaefer on August 18, 2022 at 10:00 am

Kyra Richardson learned early to advocate for herself. She dealt with medical trauma at a young age after doctors prescribed her a medication she was allergic to. In addition to the hospitalizations and surgeries, she had to navigate social situations and bullying.

Through these challenges, Kyra vowed to fight for change for herself and others in the disability community.

Here’s an excerpt, “All of this convinced me that I needed to try to make a difference in the lives of people with a disability. We shouldn’t have to fight to live a quality life.”

Click here to read the full story.

Do you have any takeaways from Kyra’s story? Do you consider yourself an advocate?

SMA News Today’s 31 Days of SMA campaign will publish one story per day for SMA Awareness Month in August. Follow us on Facebook and Instagram for more stories like this, using the hashtag #31DaysofSMA, or read the full series.

alyssa-silva replied 1 year, 8 months ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • alyssa-silva

August 18, 2022 at 5:46 pm

Oh my goodness. Poor Kyra. I can’t imagine that kind of pain she experienced. I’m surprised her doctors wanted to correct her contractures in the first place. But love that she’s turning her less-than-ideal circumstances into something positive. Her story is impactful.