SMA News Forums Forums Our Community 31 Days of SMA 2021 31 Days of SMA 2022 Day 6 of #31DaysofSMA: People With SMA Can Follow Their Dreams

• Day 6 of #31DaysofSMA: People With SMA Can Follow Their Dreams

Posted by jessie-madrigal-fletcher on August 8, 2022 at 6:28 pm

Tonje Larsen is 23 years old, was born with SMA type 2, and lives in Norway. Tonje is also a mom.

Once Tonje makes up her mind, she does things without looking back. She’s the first with 19% lung capacity with SMA in Norway to get pregnant. The doctors were shocked, but she wanted to have a child early because she doesn’t really know the progression of her disease. Tonje’s daughter is so intense now that Tonje can’t hold her on her own, but with help, they make it work.

“I won’t let anything stop me from living the life of my dreams.”

Tonje, thanks for sharing your story with us!

Now back to our SMA community, is there anything you worried you couldn’t do, but you did anyway?

Click here to read the rest of Tonje’s story and learn more about her life.

SMA News Today’s 31 Days of SMA campaign will publish one story per day for SMA Awareness Month in August. Follow us on Facebook and Instagram for more stories like this, using the hashtag #31DaysofSMA, or read the full series.

alyssa-silva replied 1 year, 7 months ago 3 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • deann-r

August 9, 2022 at 9:46 am

This story shows how much the mindset regarding disability has evolved in recent years. I wouldn’t have fathomed having a relationship let alone starting a family at that age. It’s great to see though. What a beautiful family.

• alyssa-silva

August 10, 2022 at 7:01 pm

Tonje is AMAZING. I follow her on social media and love seeing pictures of her daughter. It’s a good feeling when you can accomplish something no one thought you could do. And when that accomplishment is the birth of your child, I imagine that’s even sweeter. ???? Wishing them all the best.