SMA News Forums Forums Treatments and Research COVID-19 and SMA Dealing with Differing Political Opinions During COVID-19

• Dealing with Differing Political Opinions During COVID-19

Posted by deann-r on April 17, 2020 at 11:00 am

Having differing political opinions than my caregivers has never been an issue. Lately though it’s been really difficult to bite my tongue. In fact this morning I had a polite disagreement with one of my long time PCA’s. Of course it had to do with this COVID-19 mess we’re in. Everyone has the right to their own opinions regardless if they’re different than mine. However, I felt if I heard her opinion she should hear mine. How do you deal with differing opinions? Do you speak up, or keep it to yourself?

alyssa-silva replied 3 years, 12 months ago 4 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • halsey-blocher

April 17, 2020 at 9:02 pm

When it comes to my caregivers, I tend to avoid discussing politics with people that I know have a very different opinion. However, if they bring up a topic that is particularly important to me, I will respectfully share my views. (For example, if someone supports a healthcare policy change that would negatively affect the disabled community, I’ll explain why would hurt me and my friends). Politics just often seems like such a touchy subject, so it’s hard to know when to share and when not to.

• robert-stump

April 17, 2020 at 9:24 pm

I tend to have lots of political discussion with my aides, but I try to come at things from angles that aren’t particularly easy to see what point I’m trying to make.  I welcome lots of viewpoints, though most would understand which way I lean politically.  I don’t mind engaging at all because I don’t get angry and I honestly do understand where different people come from and even, to a degree, why they believe what they do.

But getting back to your question, absolutely you have the absolute right to share your understanding of this coronavirus situation, especially if the other person initiated it.  However, there are some people who do not want to hear anything against what they already know to be true, so perhaps try to ask questions that the individual may not actually have ever thought of to see if you can get them to actually think through what they are spewing.  That way you can get your point across, hopefully without causing an argument.

• alyssa-silva

April 20, 2020 at 12:24 pm

Unless the subject directly affects my life, I usually keep to myself. For example, one of my PCAs is very environmentally friendly and, needless to say, isn’t pleased about my plastic straws usage. I wouldn’t say we’ve argued over it, but we’ve definitely had opposing discussions about it. Other things like politics or religion, I usually just listen and nod my head.