SMA News Forums Forums Treatments and Research COVID-19 and SMA Dealing with Face Touchers

• Dealing with Face Touchers

Posted by deann-r on May 19, 2020 at 12:00 pm

For the most part my routine during the pandemic is the same as during my hibernation mode.  However I am trying to be more diligent about my caregivers personal hygiene.  As soon as they enter my house they wash their hands.  One of my long-term pca’s is a chronic face toucher.  Not 5 minutes after she washes her hands she’s rubbing her eyes or brushing across her nose.  I’ve politely told her not to.  When I did make her wash her hands again because she touched her face, she responded there’s nothing on her face.  Obviously she doesn’t get it.  Now that things are opening up that increases their exposure.  How would you guys handle this situation?  Do I keep being strict?  Am I exposed regardless if she touches her face or not?  It’s something that’s bothered me before, but especially now.

deann-r replied 3 years, 11 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • lupa-f

May 19, 2020 at 4:19 pm

I’m confused what you’re worried about. Are you worried if she’s infected, her touching her face will get you infected? Or are you trying to train her to not touch her face so much so she won’t get infected elsewhere?

The no face touching thing is to make it so you don’t get infected, not to stop them from infecting you. If they’re infected, their breathing, even with a mask, will put way more virus into the air than whatever touching of their face might do.

• deann-r

May 19, 2020 at 7:04 pm

Lupa, I’m concerned about both I guess.  If they would happen to be infected when they touch their eyes, nose or mouth it puts the virus on their hands therefore whatever they touch.  Including me.  I do realize we work in close proximity though, so the air would also be infected.  If she touches her face so much in my presence I can assume she touches her face while out and about increasing her risk therefore increasing mine.