SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA Deciphering Medical Jargon

• Deciphering Medical Jargon

Posted by deann-r on November 27, 2018 at 8:26 am

Do any of you guys have difficulty deciphering medical lingo?  After 39 years you’d think I’d have it figured out by now.  Recently a medication that I’ve been on for 3+ years has been denied.  Thankfully the doctors office negotiated with the pharmacy to give me a reduced rate to get it this month while we figure things out, but I just got a “Notice of Dismissal” from the Medicare prescription drug plan provider. Here’s what it says:

“We are writing to let you know that we have dismissed your request for coverage of the following prescription drug: XYZ

The request was dismissed for the following reason: Your prescriber’s request to withdraw the coverage determination request has been granted.”

Does that make any sense?  There’s a phone number, so I suppose I’ll be on the phone for hours trying to figure it out.

ryan-berhar-2 replied 5 years, 4 months ago 3 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • kevin-schaefer

November 27, 2018 at 10:38 am

Nope. It’s all bs, and pharmaceutical and insurance companies are notorious for making things like this unnecessarily complicated. My sympathies. I hate dealing with this stuff.

• ryan-berhar-2

November 27, 2018 at 10:53 pm

I can tell you that trying to acquire ANY medication or equipment is pert near impossible anymore. It’s definitely not just you. Ironically, just this morning I found out that some equipment I asked my doctor to request back in August apparently was never even requested. All this time I thought my insurance was just crap (which it is) but it sounds like these particular items never even reached insurance. It just seems like everyone and everything is incompetent anymore. It didn’t used to be like this.