SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA Determination or waste of time?

• Determination or waste of time?

Posted by deann-r on January 29, 2020 at 2:00 pm

I just spent the last half hour trying to unplug my iPad. Something that takes most people 2 seconds. For goodness sake, I plugged it in myself, I should be able to unplug it. Besides I’ve done it before. I proceeded to wedge my nail between the device and the cord. Apparently my nails aren’t as strong as they used to be either because my nail broke. Next I grabbed a nail file figuring it would be strong enough to pop the cord out. Plus I have to file my broken nail anyway. Nope, the connection is too tight I couldn’t even work it in there. Probably for the best considering the file was metal, and I don’t need to get zapped. Did I get it unplugged? Continue reading to find out.

For the most part I consider myself a determined person. If I set my mind to it, I usually accomplish it. Of course there are exceptions. When I know I can’t do something I don’t bother with it. For example I know I can’t lift the phone to my ear, so I automatically use speaker phone. I’d rather not waste my time. What I’m struggling with is deciding what the line is between determination and a waste of time. Is continuing to try to unplug my iPad a waste of time? How do you decide if something is worth the hassle?

Currently my iPad is still plugged in. Although I feel slightly defeated, I decided I have better things to do with my time at the moment. That doesn’t mean I won’t try again. Who knows, maybe I’ll come up with an ingenious hack to get it unplugged before my PCA gets here? I’m open to ideas if you have any!

deann-r replied 4 years, 1 month ago 4 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • halsey-blocher

January 29, 2020 at 9:03 pm

It can be really hard to decide where that line. In this case, I think I would say it’s worth the effort if you really need it, then it’s worth effort even if it doesn’t work. Otherwise probably not. I can’t really think of a good way to unplug it. I think I would have gone for the fingernail approach as well.

• alyssa-silva

January 30, 2020 at 8:56 am

I often put way too much pressure on myself and I’d say it’s probably, in part, due to the fact that I don’t want SMA to have the upper hand in my life. In the case of the plug, I would’ve felt defeated too. It sounds silly because it’s just a plug, but it’s more than that to someone like us.

• adnan-hafizovic

January 30, 2020 at 12:43 pm

DeAnn, I use my teeth a lot in these situations, you generally have to find the right tactic, move the cable left to right. Of course when we can’t do something, it annoys us, very important thing for us is patience.

• deann-r

February 3, 2020 at 11:57 am

Adnan, I use my teeth to open stuff all the time!  Just don’t tell my dentist.

My PCA ended up unplugging it for me.  Better luck next time.