SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA The Differences Between Medicaid and Medicare

• The Differences Between Medicaid and Medicare

Posted by kevin-schaefer on July 23, 2018 at 4:00 pm

Columnist Brianna Albers wrote this social clip about Medicaid and Medicare a few months ago: https://smanewstoday.com/2018/02/07/medicare-and-medicaid-what-you-need-to-know/?amp. It’s easy to get these programs mixed up, but Brianna does a great job explaining what each one does and the major differences between them.

I’ve been on Medicaid for the past few years. They do things like cover my Spinraza treatments, pay for some of my caregiving costs, etc. Like Brianna said, their rules vary state-to-state. Fortunately in North Carolina I am able to work and still retain Medicaid, but there remains a cap on how much I can make. I know other states have it worse.

What about you all? What government services do you use, if any? What questions do you have about these programs?

michael-morale replied 5 years, 8 months ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • michael-morale

July 26, 2018 at 5:51 pm

Since I’m on permanent disability, I receive SSDI. I am able to work and I believe I can make a certain amount per month without it affecting my disability, but these numbers may have changed over the last few years.