SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA Do you have to jump through hoops to access independent living programs?

• Do you have to jump through hoops to access independent living programs?

Posted by deann-r on March 31, 2023 at 10:00 am

Even though I try to paint a positive picture of life, living with a disability isn’t always sunshine and butterflies. It’s no secret that I take advantage of programs available to assist with living independently. Of course, these programs usually come with strings attached.

Because time is a precious commodity, I don’t like to waste it. In my most recent vlog I talk about some of the strings attached to a program I’m utilizing and why I feel it’s not the best use of my time.

Do you have to deal with silly nonsense to access programs? What kind of hoops have you had to jump through?

kip-troendle replied 1 year ago 3 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • alyssa-silva

April 2, 2023 at 12:31 pm

Those questions were absurd! I hope you don’t find out that it’s mandatory to fill it out. I have questionnaires I must fill out yearly for the state to approve my PCA hours, and some of the questions are ridiculous. Like, they ask me how many times I pee and poop a day. It’s strange.

I totally get what you’re saying though. Our time is so precious because our energy is so finite. Sadly I don’t think many people realize just how strategic we have to be about how we use our time and energy just to get through the day.

• kip-troendle

April 6, 2023 at 7:10 pm

I’ve got one that I’ll put up against anyone else… my CDAC case manger from years back was waaay over the top with details.  She requested I tabulate the time it takes me to eat MINUS the time my care provider just sits there waiting for my next fork of food.  Really???