SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA Do you have vestibular problems?

• Do you have vestibular problems?

Posted by alyssa-silva on February 14, 2024 at 11:56 am

For the past few weeks, my vertigo has been bothering me more than usual. I’ve had vestibular issues for quite a few years now and have experienced flare-ups from time to time. However, these days my symptoms are more persistent. 

If you have vestibular issues— whether it’s vertigo, migraines, chronic headaches, etc— have you noticed your symptoms to be more present lately? What type of remedies best alleviate how you’re feeling?

alyssa-silva replied 2 months ago 3 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • deann-r

February 19, 2024 at 9:04 am

Funny you should post this. A few weeks ago I had what I chalked up as a 24 hr bug. Dizzy, nauseous, flush. It was terrible but only lasted half the day and was better after a nap (out of the ordinary for me.) Since then I’ve had a couple random dizzy spells, but thankfully they subside if I just close my eyes and rest for a bit. Now I’m questioning what’s going on. Not enough to do anything about it, but I’m hoping it doesn’t become a regular occurrence.

When you have your issues what do you do? The first time I had to have Mom come because I needed to lie down. After that incident I’ve managed in my chair. Can you work through yours? I have to stop everything and just chill for a while.

• alyssa-silva

February 19, 2024 at 10:42 am

This might sound funny, but the best way I’ve found to work through it is if someone gently squeezes my head. That or applies pressure at specific places on my head. I think my crystals are out of whack because I get dizzy when I move my head in specific ways. (I.e., I can’t roll over without the room spinning). So it’s likely my crystals. I’ve been to my vestibular doctor, had vertigo PT in the past, and did all the maneuvers to try to get better… nothing has ever worked on me.

What I don’t understand is why I’ve been feeling this way for so long. I also have fluid in both ears and some minor jaw pain. Every now and again, I have sinus pain, too. Usually, this only happens in the spring when allergies come. Considering it’s only February, I may have a long road ahead. 😑

• susana-m

February 21, 2024 at 6:45 pm

That sounds a little bit like the migraines I’ve had for years. Thankfully, the intensity has dropped as I start moving into menopause. It’s entirely possible that what you’re feeling has to do with hormone fluctuations and might have nothing to do with SMA. Start tracking when these episodes happen, it’s possible you’ll find a pattern. Even if it’s not menopause, you might find a connection with certain foods or specific stressful events.

• alyssa-silva

February 22, 2024 at 10:02 pm

Interesting! Now that I’m thinking about it, my symptoms have been getting worse around my periods. I’ve had vestibular problems off and off since I got a concussion in 2017. But lately, my symptoms have been more prevalent. I’m going to try to notice any patterns between my hormones and symptoms now that you mention it. I think you may be onto something! Did you ever take anything to alleviate your symptoms?