SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Parents​ ​and​ ​Caregivers​ Do you keep your child in school during cold and flu season?

• Do you keep your child in school during cold and flu season?

Posted by alyssa-silva on November 6, 2019 at 11:00 am

At this time of year, sending your kids off to school can be daunting with cold and flu season starting to gain momentum. With the exposure to germs being inevitable, do you take extra precautions? Or do you keep your kid(s) home altogether?

After a serious case of pneumonia (and hospitalization) in my sophomore year of high school, my parents and I felt it was best to homeschool me from January-April every year to prevent the risk of getting sick.

While it was difficult from an academic standpoint (tutors wouldn’t show, many subjects were self-taught, etc.), I believe this was the best decision for me. And I turned out okay!

What do you typically do for your child?

halsey-blocher replied 4 years, 5 months ago 3 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • halsey-blocher

November 6, 2019 at 9:16 pm

I homeschooled all the way through high school largely to prevent getting sick. It was great choice for me. However I also attended weekly classes for homeschoolers. I always went in the winter. The classes were small and everyone was careful to keep their distance from me if they were feeling at all under the weather. It worked out pretty well for me. It allowed me to still have some social interaction without having to worry to much about getting sick.

• alyssa-silva

November 7, 2019 at 10:02 am

girl, that is truly amazing. I think people tend to glorify being homeschooled because it seems “easier.” but, based on my own personal experience, I’ve learned it poses its own unique set of challenges to endure, and not many people will understand that. personally, homeschool taught me to be more self-disciplined, and for that, I became a better student.

• deann-r

November 7, 2019 at 10:29 am

I can’t imagine being homeschooled actually. Awesome that it worked out for you. I know a lot of people who do it, and not even for SMA reasons. My parents were more apt to keep me home if there was inclement weather as they knew recess would probably be indoors and be a cesspool of germs.

• halsey-blocher

November 8, 2019 at 8:30 pm

Homeschooling definitely gets stereotyped as easy. We probably just sit on the couch and watch tv all day, right? I’m sure there probably are people who do that, but that wasn’t the case for me. I worked really hard to be a good students and keep my grades up. Homeschooling definitely isn’t for everyone though. I’ve had a lot of friends who tried it, and it wasn’t right for them. Everyone learns best in certain environments. This balance between homeschooling and weekly classes happened to be perfect for me.