SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA Do you listen to any podcasts on disability?

• blake-watson

May 22, 2023 at 2:46 pm

This is gonna sound weird but I find myself avoiding these because if I do listen in I relate so much that I’m overwhelmed with empathy and I want to immediately contact people so I can tell them how cool they are.

This happened to me a while back on Kevin’s podcast when he interviewed Chaz Hayden. I was immediately on Twitter talking to him about the book. 😂

So I’m glad I get to talk to you guys here in the forum, otherwise I wouldn’t be able to read your dope columns.

idk why I’m like this. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• alyssa-silva

May 24, 2023 at 4:24 pm

Haha as a columnist, I’m flattered! 😆 But that makes sense. I get what you’re saying. What about podcasts whose hosts are NOT disabled haha? Listen to any good ones?

• patrick-lenihan

May 22, 2023 at 8:26 pm

For disability podcasts I like BBC Access All and Disability Visibility (unfortunately there haven’t been any new episodes of Disability Visibility in 2 years). Disability After Dark with Andrew Gurza is an interesting podcast that deals with disability and sexuality but I rarely listen to it. Some non disability podcasts I love are WTF With Marc Maron, The Moth (a story telling podcast), The Splendid Table, This American Life, Radiolab, Ologies with Allie Ward (a science podcast), and Quirks & Quarks from CBC Radio (another science podcast).

• alyssa-silva

May 24, 2023 at 4:34 pm

So many suggestions, that’s great! Do you have a favorite out of the ones you listed above?

• patrick-lenihan

May 25, 2023 at 2:34 pm

My favorites are The Moth, Oolgies and WTF.