SMA News Forums Forums SMA News Today Multimedia SMA News Today’s YouTube Dose of DeAnn Episode 23: Assistive Technologies and Services

• kelly-miller

December 4, 2018 at 5:30 pm

Deann, is your dog a service dog? I would love to get a service dog but can’t afford the cost. I’ve heard it’s around $10,000. Not sure how anyone is supposed to afford that, so I was wondering if you knew of any programs that would help get service dogs. I don’t qualify for VR since I’m already retired from a career job.

Thanks for this video. I’m still waiting for my Cure SMA care package, but they posted on the link you gave that they ran out of inventory & are waiting for the items to be replenished before they can send out the remaining packages requested. I’m excited to get mine and to use all of those nifty things inside!

• deann-r

December 4, 2018 at 7:14 pm

Kelly, yes he is my service dog. His puppy raiser sends him Christmas presents every year, so he thinks every box is for him all year long. I highly recommend checking into Canine Companions for Independence. They actually have centers across the United States and provide their service dogs free of charge. We only pay for travel expenses and most centers have dorms now, so even that’s feasible. Once we receive a dog we are responsible for their veterinary care and other cares. I think they have centers in Florida, New York, California, Ohio and even Texas! There’s a bit of a waiting list, so if you are interested I recommend checking into it as soon as possible to get on the list.

Sorry to hear Cure SMA is out of care boxes at the moment. It’s worth the wait though, just like the service dog.