SMA News Forums Forums SMA News Today Multimedia SMA News Today’s YouTube Dose of DeAnn Episode 35: Out of my Control

• Dose of DeAnn Episode 35: Out of my Control

Posted by deann-r on May 28, 2019 at 7:00 am

https://youtu.be/loCoQu2RiWY

Happy Tuesday everyone! Hope everyone here in the U.S. enjoyed the long weekend.

In the latest episode of Dose of DeAnn: A Glimpse Into My Life with SMA, I talk about how there are times when things are totally outside my control. Recently, I was home alone when I discovered that the batteries in my smoke alarm were dead. I had no choice but to wait until one of my PCAs arrived to change the batteries. Unfortunately those were bad too!

This is just one of many instances of me accepting that there are things I simply can’t do. It’s just a part of life with SMA (or a similar disability), and it happens regularly. Fortunately, I’ve managed to come up with a lot of solutions so that I can live independently, but there are still things I have to rely on other people for.

Can you relate to this subject matter? Some of these scenarios can be pretty comical, and I’d love to hear your stories. Leave a comment here in the forums, or on the video page. And be sure to subscribe to the SMA News Today YouTube channel. if you haven’t already. Thanks and have a great day!

ryan-berhar replied 4 years, 11 months ago 3 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • kevin-schaefer

May 28, 2019 at 3:33 pm

Great video! Yep, I’ve been in many similar situations. For me, it’s usually that I can’t respond to a text if my phone is out of reach, and I have to wait for someone to help me. You just deal with it.

Also, a funny side note. In the middle of your video, you asked your Alexa device about the weather. My Alexa heard it and responded lol.

• ryan-berhar

May 28, 2019 at 4:06 pm

I’ve never had this particular issue, but yes, things are often out of my control. I try to keep items within reach of my JACO robotic arm. I couldn’t reach a smoke detector, but it helps me live a little more independently.