SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA Drinking When You Have SMA

• Drinking When You Have SMA

Posted by kevin-schaefer on February 1, 2019 at 7:02 am

I’m not a regular drinker by any means, but I’ll get a beer when I’m hanging out with friends at a bar or something. For a while I was in a group that did trivia regularly, but most of the people in that circle have moved. Now if I have a drink, it’s usually on a weekend when I’m at a movie or one of my go-to restaurants. My favorite theater, the Alamo Drafthouse Cinema, has a good selection of craft beers. I’m not sophisticated enough to drink wine. I’ve tried some at weddings and it tasted terrible.

As someone with SMA, I’d say it’s perfectly ok to drink casually. Obviously you don’t want to overdo it, but you’re good as long as your body can handle alcohol ok.

Who here drinks? Any tips for safe drinking? Those of us in wheelchairs do have to be careful, since we are allowed to drink and drive.

halsey-blocher replied 5 years, 2 months ago 3 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • ryan-berhar-2

February 1, 2019 at 9:16 pm

About the same as you. I had some fireball on New Year’s Eve. That’s some potent stuff lol.

• halsey-blocher

February 1, 2019 at 9:49 pm

I will have a drink on occasion, but I don’t like anything too strong. And you’re right about wine. In my experience, it’s pretty bad. When it comes to SMA, I don’t think we are much different than anyone else on this regard. We still have to be cautious and listen to what our bodies are telling us. Enjoying a drink or two is harmless, but responsibility is always important.