SMA News Forums Forums Treatments and Research Spinraza (nusinersen) FAM – Family Access Managers

• FAM – Family Access Managers

Posted by deann-r on July 9, 2019 at 11:09 am

Recently I put up a poll on a Spinraza social media group I’m in. It asked individuals if they have a FAM or not. For those of you who don’t know that stands for Family Access Manager. Basically they’re a representative from Biogen to help make sure the process goes smoothly. When the doctor prescribes Spinraza you can fill out a Start Form and you’ll be assigned a FAM. Surprisingly after a posting for a day 115 people say they have a FAM while 4 (including myself) do not. I chose not to pursue a FAM as I prefer to have fewer cooks in the kitchen sort of speak. Recently however, I posted about my frustrations on changes my hospital is making to the process, you can read about it here. It’s making me wonder if I should seek a FAM, they may be a good support team member. Many who took my poll stated how beneficial they’ve been. Some seem indifferent. What have your experiences been?

kevin-schaefer replied 4 years, 9 months ago 3 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • rachel-markley

July 9, 2019 at 11:18 am

I love my FAM!!! My facility (where I happen to work) didn’t want to do complex spines at all and still isn’t thrilled with it as there’s only 2 of us. She immediately addresses any concerns I have – i.e. new dr taking too much CSF – at my facility. She also was great about giving me directions for how to schedule, where to go, and specific people to talk to in each department.

• kevin-schaefer

July 9, 2019 at 2:50 pm

Like Rachel, I’ve been fortunate to have an excellent FAM. She’s supportive, responsive, and she’s always there if I need anything. I understand your mentality, but I’d still give it a shot.