• Fashion and SMA

Posted by alyssa-silva on August 31, 2020 at 2:01 pm

Fashion and disability is something you don’t see too often in the mainstream media. But people like Laura Blair are looking to change that.

Today’s 31 Days of SMA is all about Laura who is 30 years old living with SMA type 2. For as long as she can remember, she has always been a girly-girl who loves getting dressed up. Fashion, as she puts it, has made an impact on how others perceive her rather than the “big piece of metal that [she] rolls around in.”

It is a great way to normalize disability.

Laura is now taking classes at the Fashion Institute of Technology in NYC and has her own small home-based fashion boutique. She will soon be embarking on a new venture where she will combine her love for dressing up and helping others.

I really loved reading Laura’s story. I just recently started a job in the fashion industry that is geared towards accessible fashion for women with disabilities. It’s (unfortunately) an untapped market that needs immediate attention. We are worthy of feeling beautiful in the clothes we wear but sometimes it’s really hard to find clothes that meet our physical needs.

Have you experienced similar problems? What does fashion mean to you?

alyssa-silva replied 3 years, 6 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • kelly-miller

September 1, 2020 at 1:51 pm

Alyssa, I’m so excited to hear about your new job! I think both men and women who have disabilities struggle with the way “regular” clothes fit them. I for one look forward to seeing what you come up with as soon as you’re ready. Keep us posted.

• alyssa-silva

September 2, 2020 at 11:14 am

Thanks Kelly! I work for Intimately, they’re a startup that’s looking to make the fashion industry more inclusive. It’s very cool. I’m excited to see where this journey leads.