• Feeling kinda lonely

Posted by blake-watson on March 29, 2023 at 3:20 pm

Most times I’m fine throwing myself into work, projects, or writing. But on occasion those things aren’t enough and I feel a bit lonely and wistful, wondering if there’s someone out there for me and if she feels the same way I do right now.

Not looking for advice per se, just sort of posting as a form of therapy I guess. 🙂

blake-watson replied 1 year ago 4 Members · 8 Replies
  • 8 Replies
  • deann-r

March 29, 2023 at 8:31 pm

Must be that time of year. I’m not craving companionship per se, gave up on that long ago, but some connections beyond family and paid caregivers would be nice. My college friends don’t live close, so we only catch up over the phone. I’m not a social butterfly either so making new connections isn’t easy. Do you get out much?

• blake-watson

March 30, 2023 at 2:23 pm

No I def need to get out more. I made it a goal for 2023 to be more social. Not doing as well as I wanted to. I have hosted 2 SMA meetups on Discord, which is something I wanted to start doing since Cure SMA dropped the ball.

Still would love for you guys to do some on Zoom!

• deann-r

April 2, 2023 at 6:32 pm

We’re pushing for a Zoom meetup. For now it’s been tabled as we’re focusing on optimizing current platforms. Fingers crossed we can do it in the future as I miss the Cure SMA socials too. Probably showing my ignorance here, what’s Discord?

• blake-watson

April 4, 2023 at 6:30 pm

Discord is a social media platform (I guess) that operates similarly to a chat room. People create “servers” (ie, groups) that people can join and each server has a number of “channels” (ie, rooms) that people can chat in. It’s kind of like a discussion forum but optimized for realtime communication instead of asynchronous communication (like in this forum).

Servers are usually topical in nature. I’m in an SMA Chat server on Discord, for example, among others.

It’s basically like a whole site that’s just Facebook groups with extra features.

• kevin-schaefer

March 30, 2023 at 8:35 am

Hey man, it’s tough. I always say don’t give up hope, but it’s also ok to vent. Something that helps me is going out when my caregivers are here, as they can drive me. And I know they’re frustrating for anyone, but are you on any dating apps?

• blake-watson

March 30, 2023 at 3:25 pm

I used to be. Last year I made it a goal to not pay for any dating apps (at the time I had a few subs). So I dropped those. Then I just stopped checking them altogether.

I guess I was hoping that, if I was going to meet someone online, I could meet them in a place where I’m already active around people with common interests (like Discord, say) rather than a dating site that prioritizes snap judgments on random people.

But it hasn’t worked out that way yet. I’ve thought about getting back to it but none of the apps seem particularly attractive (heh). So for now just sort of aimlessly drifting.

• alyssa-silva

March 30, 2023 at 9:10 pm

Yeah I get that way too sometimes. But I don’t get out much either these days, so I’ve sort of given up on the idea of finding a partner. Some days it bothers me but others I’m just like 🤷🏻‍♀️ give me dogs and I’ll be happy haha.

I’m still a little hesitant to jump into a post-pandemic world since COVID still very much exists. But I think I need to let my guard down a bit and venture out. Being lonely sucks. Are there meetups in your area where you could hang out with new people who have similar interests?

• blake-watson

April 4, 2023 at 7:02 pm

There is a web developer meetup. I’ve gone to it a couple of times. I need to find some other stuff to get involved in.

Yeah, like you, some days I’m just like whatever it’s fiiiinnneee. Other times I’m like [insert All by Myself chorus here]. 😆