SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA Finding In-Person Communities

• Finding In-Person Communities

Posted by kevin-schaefer on August 9, 2018 at 9:00 am

I’ve posted about this topic before, but I often get asked by people with SMA and other disabilities how to go about meeting more people in-person. I get the frustration that comes with having to find transportation and being stuck at home a lot. It’s hard to know where to start when you want to build new relationships and get involved with a community. As such, here are just a few tips of mine.

The first step is determining your interests and passions. Whether your passion is something as mainstream as sports or as niche as British detective novels, I can guarantee you that there are other people who share your interests. From there you simply think about where your people congregate. It might be a sports bar, a bookstore, a church, a coffee shop or just somewhere in which people gather. For me it’s comic shops, conventions, movie theaters and bookstores. After a long week at work in my home office, I like to spend the weekends out and about.

For writers and bloggers, get plugged in with a writer’s group. Trust me, they’re everywhere. Taking classes online and at community colleges is another way to expand your horizon and meet people. There are plenty of ways to meet and connect with people, but you have to be intentional about it.

What groups are you all involved in? Do you have other tips for meeting people? Join the discussion.

kevin-schaefer replied 5 years, 8 months ago 1 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies

Sorry, there were no replies found.