SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA Finding Real Life Friends

• kevin-schaefer

May 31, 2018 at 11:40 am

I read your column. It can definitely be more challenging to be social with our circumstances, but it’s certainly possible. The key is to think about the things you’re passionate about.

In college this was easy for me, because there were so many groups to get involved in. These days, I hang out a lot at the comic shop and at comic cons, and I have a group of friends who are podcasters. Church is a great way to meet people as well.

You should also try to connect with other SMA people in your area or other people with disabilities. Posting in online forums and Facebook groups is a good way to find out who is close to you.

• ryan-berhar-2

June 1, 2018 at 11:54 am

Great tips for sure!

• adnan-hafizovic

June 6, 2018 at 6:44 am

Trough our lives friends goes because they get married or they find job in anotther city and we must find new friends.Kevin you gave good tips where can we find friends.

• kevin-schaefer

June 6, 2018 at 10:07 am

People definitely get busier. I have a ton of friends from college who I rarely see because they’re either married, too busy or they moved for work. It happens, but I think it’s good to still seek out a community to be a part of, no matter what stage of life you’re in.