SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Parents​ ​and​ ​Caregivers​ Getting Gifts for Caregivers

• Getting Gifts for Caregivers

Posted by alyssa-silva on December 4, 2019 at 12:00 pm

‘Tis the season for making lists and checking them twice.

I love buying gifts for others, I really do. BUT, I have a lot of people to buy for, so my wallet would beg to differ. When it comes to caregivers, I typically make something homemade (with the help from others)— ex. dry cookie mix in a mason jar, soy candles with essential oil scents, etc.

This year, I think I’m going to make little gift boxes with succulents (and other things) inside with a card that says “my life would succ without you.” Regardless of what I make, I always take the time to write a meaningful card to thank them for all they’ve done. That, to me, is so much more important than a gift.

Do you buy your caregivers gifts or are you on a budget? It’s pretty tough when our income is limited and we have family to shop for. At the same time, our caregivers shouldn’t go unnoticed— especially if they hold a special place in our lives.

alyssa-silva replied 4 years, 4 months ago 3 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • halsey-blocher

December 4, 2019 at 9:12 pm

That is an adorable idea! Can’t promise I won’t steal it sometime! My family often makes little gift baskets that are a mix of store bought and hand made for our nurses. I think last year we did dried fruit in jars that I put their names on, mugs with cake in mug mix, candles, and locally made soap bars. They are so very deserving of Christmas gifts for being great nurses but also members of our family, and we always want them to know that we appreciate them.

Unfortunately, some agencies have policies against giving gifts to hired caregivers. I’ve never liked these policies. It’s not like I’m going to use candles as a bribe. One of the ways we get around this is just setting them on “nurses station” and not putting our names on them. Instead we address them with thing like “from The Management” or “from Santa’s Helpers.” One time we even addressed them from our pets. We even drew little paw prints on them. It’s an amazingly simple yet effective solution.

• deann-r

December 4, 2019 at 9:42 pm

I usually add a homemade element as well. This year I’m doing a gift pack that has a home sewn tissue holder for those travel tissue packs, hand sanitizer, hand lotion, chap stick and a candle. Love your succulent idea. I thought about something like that, but didn’t know where to get the plants. Cute quote too.

• alyssa-silva

December 5, 2019 at 11:09 am

Those are some great ideas, guys! That’s so tough with the policies these agencies set in place, but I’m glad you found your way around it, Halsey! I’ll definitely keep that in mind if that’s ever an issue for me.

DeAnn, I typically get my succulents at a local garden nursery that’s basically the Disneyland of plants haha. But I believe Lowe’s and Home Depot have a good, albeit small, selection. If those stores aren’t nearby, Target always has fake ones that are cute.