SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA Going to the Dentist

• Going to the Dentist

Posted by deann-r on March 31, 2019 at 11:35 am

How often do y’all go to the dentist? I just got my appointment card for my annual check-up. I’m seriously considering cancelling because it’s just so difficult. Last year it almost felt like we broke my arm transferring. Not to mention how difficult it is getting comfortable and navigating my limited jaw extension. It would probably be easier if i could stay in my chair, but don’t think they have the space for that.

deann-r replied 5 years ago 6 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • kevin-schaefer

March 31, 2019 at 3:26 pm

I go twice a year, but as I’ve mentioned before the office I go to accepts Medicaid patients, and it’s set up so that I can remain in my chair during appointments. I actually went the other day, and I do need to get a wisdom tooth removed. For that, I’ll have to get out of my chair, and either my dad or my main caregiver will come with me.

I understand the frustration though. It certainly is your prerogative.

• halsey-blocher

March 31, 2019 at 8:52 pm

I also usually go twice a year. They always move their chair so that I can pull mine up by the equipment, and I tilt my chair back to make it easier for them. They’ve gotten pretty good about working around my chair and inability to open my mouth very far. They can’t always clean every tooth, but they try there best.

• ryan-berhar

April 1, 2019 at 6:47 pm

I really do not like the dentist (I know, I’m unique in this regard haha). After not going for years, I started going again about five years ago to a dentist I actually kind of liked. Unfortunately, he retired, so I’m currently searching for a new one. I didn’t like the one I went to last summer, (she told me to stop drinking coffee, the one thing you should never tell me) so I’m trying a new one in a few weeks. As much as we all hate it, I think it’s a necessary evil. I can’t open my mouth hardly at all, so doing any serious dental work would be a nightmare for me. Best to just bite the bullet and go in twice a year.

• adnan-hafizovic

April 3, 2019 at 5:41 am

I go to dentist when I must,but now is problem for me because my denstist moved in USA so I must find new dentist who has ordination on the ground floor. This is a big problem for me because most dentists have an office on the floor, but I have noticed that one dentist is on the ground floor.

• kelly-miller

April 4, 2019 at 1:29 pm

Sounds like I’m the odd man out here – I’ve only been once in my entire life. My parents never took me because I couldn’t open my mouth well (speaking of parents that make a bad decision i.e. see post on spinal fusion) & they figured it would be impossible for a dentist to work with me. I went once when I was around 30 because I had this buildup of what I didn’t know at the time was plaque behind my lower front teeth. Man, it felt wonderful to have my teeth cleaned after it was over. Unfortunately, the experience wasn’t great – I had to get out of my chair which I could never do now, and it killed my neck to be in the position they needed. After 30 yrs., I only had 2 cavities, so I decided I was doing pretty well in that area. Of course they wanted to fill them, but I said no to anymore dentist. I never got them filled and never went back. I haven’t had any problems with my teeth, not even wisdom teeth issues. I’ve learned how to get the plaque off the back of my lower teeth and made some adjustments in how I take care of them. I bought an electric toothbrush, started letting someone else brush them for me, & made sure the backs of my teeth get brushed also (didn’t know that before). I may regret it as an old lady, but I’m willing to live with that when the day comes because I’d rather avoid the pain & hassle of a dentist now.

• deann-r

April 7, 2019 at 10:27 pm

Kelly, I think an electric toothbrush has been my saving grace as far as dental hygiene goes.

• deann-r

April 7, 2019 at 10:28 pm

Kudos to y’all who go twice a year. Don’t know how you do it.