SMA News Forums Forums Welcome Lounge Hello from Lance aka GimpyG

• Hello from Lance aka GimpyG

Posted by Gimpygod on April 10, 2024 at 12:17 pm

Heya my fellow gravity challenged people! I get the newsletter in my email and keep seeing discussion prompts and questions I wanted to answer so decided to finally join. If you look at my bio, I have done quite a bit and wanna help when I can so you don’t have to reinvent the wheel by yourself. Have questions as well. #hello

susana-m replied 2 days, 10 hours ago 5 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • alyssa-silva

April 10, 2024 at 7:39 pm

Welcome, Lance! I’m a moderator here, along with @deann-r and @kevin-schaefer. Looking forward to getting to know you better. Did you teach general mathematics or did you focus on a specific subject? Math was always my favorite subject in school.

• Gimpygod

April 11, 2024 at 4:19 pm

Thanks for the welcome 🤗. I think I have read a few articles by you, very cool style! As for math I have taught everything from basic algebra to calculus 3, however most of my time was spent teaching college algebra since it was a prerequisite for practically everything. I look forward to chatting with you & other members.

• alyssa-silva

April 12, 2024 at 9:43 am

Thank you! I’m coming up on seven years of writing for SMA News Today. Can’t believe how quickly time passes.

It’s been quite a while since I’ve studied algebra, but I do remember enjoying it. I loved solving puzzles, and that’s how algebra felt to me. 🙂 Looking forward to having you here, Lance. Thanks for joining us.

• deann-r

April 16, 2024 at 10:38 am

Glad to have you here. Please chime in on any of the conversations new or old. Sometimes a fresh perspective is just what we need.

I admire math wizards. Somehow I made it through college algebra and squeaked by pre-calc just barely. My professor was from China and said he learned English while getting his mathematics degree in Russia. Needless to say he was a bit tricky to understand. Fortunately I’m used to a challenge. What was your favorite to teach?

You’ll have to tell us more about Project Gameface. It sounds interesting.

• doug-mccullough

April 16, 2024 at 9:21 pm

Hi Lance! I just checked out Project Gameface. One of the coolest things I have ever seen!! Thanks for all your work to develop this with Google. I will share the intro video on LinkedIn to help increase the number of people that know about this and can benefit from this.

Doug

• alyssa-silva

April 20, 2024 at 3:07 pm

Lance, I just looked into Project Gameface, and it’s amazing! Will this technology eventually be useful to non-gamers as well? Will people be able to control their computers using it?

• susana-m

April 29, 2024 at 7:53 pm

Hi Lance, welcome

“Gravity challenged?” I like it!

As we know: gravity works.

We’ve all had to adapt to diminished physical capacity, this is one of the first times I’ve seen a project that can really expand our access. Brilliant work!

I have the same question as Alyssa, can Gameface be used to navigate general computer controls?