SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA How do you feel about getting older?

• How do you feel about getting older?

Posted by alyssa-silva on October 23, 2023 at 9:22 am

I’m turning 33 tomorrow, and I always get in my feels around now. When I was diagnosed with SMA, I was told I wouldn’t live past the age of 2. So with each birthday comes a profound sense of gratitude thinking about how far I’ve come. At the same time, I sometimes feel as though I’m on borrowed time with each passing year. 

How do you feel about getting older?

mike-huddleston replied 6 months, 1 week ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • mike-huddleston

October 24, 2023 at 2:41 pm

I turned 60 earlier this year. As there are no guarantees for anyone on this planet, I think I’m mostly just grateful that I’ve had a rewarding life and a wonderful 36 year career that I retired from last year. And even more importantly, my wife and I celebrated our 40th anniversary just a little over a week ago! I know I’m 60, but I feel closer to about 25 – 30 mentally. And aside from the SMA, I feel amazingly good, health wise, so thankful for that as well.

My mindset has always been that getting older isn’t a problem as birthdays are only a problem when they stop coming around. Embrace getting older. Live and love the experience. Focus on the beauty of life, not the challenges presented.