SMA News Forums Forums SMA News Today Multimedia SMA News Today’s YouTube How Do You Manage “Disability Dilemmas”

• How Do You Manage “Disability Dilemmas”

Posted by deann-r on May 27, 2022 at 10:00 am

https://youtu.be/KLJB9bu98yE

Hey guys! I’m guessing a lot of you can relate to my latest video. Recently I had the opportunity to do something that sounded like a ton of fun. After thinking about it I decided against it. In the video I discuss what factored into that decision. I call situations like this “disability dilemmas”. What goes into your decision making process when deciding to partake in activities? Is disability a factor?

deann-r replied 1 year, 11 months ago 3 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • kip-troendle

May 27, 2022 at 10:59 am

Gosh, I can certainly relate! I was thinking about a concert as well this summer. After weighing pros and cons, I decided it wasn’t “worth” the effort needed. I’ll say this first — as one gets older and experiences the pros vs. cons situations, it becomes more difficult to “pull the trigger” and do something; like the concert. I now seem to be able to find numerous reasons to forgo just about anything, which I say to myself is… unhealthy. Life teaches us lessons, which is good, but we must also remember we are where we are today, because we lived through those lessons.

• deann-r

May 31, 2022 at 8:58 am

Thanks Kip!  It’s tough when there’s so many things I want to do.  I’m trying to be okay where I’m at.  Like you said though, we have to remember how we got where we are today.  For me that means forgoing the concert, but not being afraid to push the limits the next time an opportunity presents itself.

• alyssa-silva

May 27, 2022 at 2:43 pm

I would have made the same decision! I’m a homebody so if there’s a lot of effort that goes into planning something, I usually just forgo it. That being said, if it was for a family or friend’s wedding, party, or simply something to do with my loved ones then I would definitely go out of my way to make the effort… prior to Covid.

• deann-r

May 31, 2022 at 9:05 am

Ha, I almost bought a top that said, “Homebody,” except they were sold out in my size.  That tells me we’re not alone in that sentiment.  I like your reasoning.  Family and loved ones are important.  I always hope if it’s an event like that I forgo they’ll have an added understanding of my situation.