• Human Pincushion

Posted by deann-r on November 8, 2018 at 11:00 am

Out of the entire process it takes to get every Spinraza injection, my least favorite part is getting the pre-dose lab work done.  Because this drug is relatively new, before each dose I’m required to have my blood drawn and give a urine sample.  The urine is to test protein levels to make sure my kidneys are functioning appropriately.  The blood is to make sure there’s no issues with not being able to clot (I think).  Although some do these labs same day I’m able to get mine done at my local clinic the week prior.  Typically I bring in the urine sample when I go to get blood drawn as it’s easier to collect at home.  I’ve always been a hard stick as they say, but this time breaks the record for number of sticks.  Six if you include the finger poke.  I follow all the suggestions including extra hydration, and putting warm packs on all the spots I think they’ll try.  Today I was sent home after two pokes to hydrate more and warm up (I won’t be warm till April), but it still didn’t help.  Finally they got enough blood, but man that takes it’s toll.  Plus I’m a germaphobe, so going to the clinic twice did not make my day.  How many pokes does it take to get your blood?

Fingers crossed this will not be an indication of how the injection will go next Friday.  So far they’ve been a breeze for me.  It’s always in the back of my mind though wondering if this will be the time they can’t get through.

kevin-schaefer replied 5 years, 5 months ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • kevin-schaefer

November 8, 2018 at 1:42 pm

I can totally relate. I usually do my lab work after PT appointments, and they’re quite annoying. They usually have a hard time finding a vain for me as well, but the urine test actually irritates me more than the bloodwork. I really hate peeing on command, especially into that tiny cup they give you.