SMA News Forums Forums Welcome Lounge Introduction

• Introduction

Posted by patrick-lenihan on February 21, 2019 at 5:33 pm

My name is Patrick. I grew up in New England and now live the Pacific Northwest with my s/o and our 4 year old black lab. I was diagnosed with SMA in 1966. I am an alumnus of the University of Rhode Island.

kevin-schaefer replied 5 years ago 3 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • ryan-berhar

February 21, 2019 at 8:58 pm

Hey Patrick, I’m Ryan, one of the forum moderators. Thanks for joining us!

• kevin-schaefer

February 22, 2019 at 9:52 am

Nice to meet you Patrick! I’m 25 with Type 2. I graduated from North Carolina State University in 2016 with a B.A. in English.

After graduating, I spent some time freelance writing for some nonprofit organizations and websites, and eventually I came across this site SMA News Today. I started writing my weekly column “Embracing My Inner Alien” in April 2017. A few months later I was hired to work full-time for the site’s parent company BioNews Services.

My role as the SMA News Today Community Editor consists of managing this forum and helping other forum moderators on other BioNews sites, producing podcasts, writing my columns, and engaging regularly with the SMA community. I love it. I’m able to work from home, and still be able to do other projects. I do creative writing as well, and I’ve published a short comic in an anthology, and I’m working on other scripts and stories as well.

I live at home with my parents, and I have caregivers come to my house throughout the week. I also have a friend drive me to my weekly physical therapy sessions, and I’ve been on Spinraza since November 2017. Feel free to ask me any questions!

• kevin-schaefer

April 11, 2019 at 2:42 pm

Welcome Aretha! Thanks for joining us!