• deann-r

January 15, 2020 at 11:28 am

I know both Kevin and Ryan have a JACO, but not sure they had to go through the appeal process.  Are you a member of this group https://www.facebook.com/groups/jacousers/   They might have some good info for you.  My suggestion is to start with a list of everything you imagine using it for.  Anything that increases independence or improves safety is usually what they’re looking for.  Good luck!

• kevin-schaefer

January 15, 2020 at 3:02 pm

I never went through insurance, but I’ve heard using words like “prosthetic arm” are really effective, since that’s essentially the purpose of JACO. DM me on Facebook. I know an SMA parent who went through this process for her daughter.

• halsey-blocher

January 16, 2020 at 9:25 pm

Like DeAnn said, definitely make a list of what you will use it for. Make it as detailed as possible. Include anything you can think of, why you need the arm to do it, and why you need to that task at all. I also recommend referencing independence. Explain how the arm will provide you with that, and, as crazy as this might sound, why that independence is necessary. Also try to get a physician to write a letter that talks about all of this in addition to your own letter. I don’t have JAKO arm, but this is what I’ve done to appeal other pieces of equipment.

• ryan-berhar

January 16, 2020 at 10:49 pm

Hey Rachel, Lauren Bakken is Kinova’s full time family advocate and she works on appeals, including help with drafting the appeal letter. Contact her at [email protected]. She should be able to help.