SMA News Forums Forums Assistive Technology Jaco Denial #2

• Jaco Denial #2

Posted by deann-r on May 7, 2021 at 2:00 pm

I have to admit, my hopes for a successful appeal were on the high side. It’s sad to always expect a fight, yet here we are yet again. My 2nd denial for the Jaco Robotic Arm just came through. Such a disappointment since I poured my heart and soul into the appeal letter medically justifying it. Even my occupational therapist and neurologist wrote letters to include with the appeal. Situations arise every day where it would be beneficial. I’m not giving up just yet, but soon my options to get it covered by insurance will be exhausted.

The bogus reasoning they give is so frustrating. It’s not an approved device (although it has been approved under the same program for someone with the same condition) and it’s not medically necessary. I have a whole page suggesting otherwise. Why don’t they give us the real reason, it’s too dang expensive and we don’t want to spend any more money on you.

At this point insurance probably banks on the majority of people saying it’s not worth the fight. Guess what? I’m not one of those people. I’m not under any allusions that this device will somehow make me completely independent, but gosh darn it I want the opportunity to see how it will enhance my life. Plus if I get it approved it might make it that much easier for the next person. As far as I know I have until mid-June to appeal directly to DHS. Fingers crossed it will land in the lap of someone with common sense and compassion.

Do you have a Jaco or similar device? Did insurance cover it or was it paid for privately? I’d love to hear about the process.

deann-r replied 2 years, 11 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • holly-dillon

May 8, 2021 at 2:06 pm

they told me no because it “wouldn’t make me better”

• deann-r

May 10, 2021 at 12:08 pm

Smh. So frustrating. Obviously they have no experience when it comes to living with a disability.