SMA News Forums Forums Assistive Technology Laptop Question

• Laptop Question

Posted by deann-r on October 16, 2019 at 3:33 pm

I’m in the market for a new laptop. I use one like a desktop because they’re compact. Typically a touchscreen is more expensive. Therefore I usually don’t look at them. I found one where the touchscreen is the same price. Would you opt for touchscreen even if you wouldn’t use it? What else do you look for in a laptop?

survivinglife replied 4 years, 6 months ago 4 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • halsey-blocher

October 16, 2019 at 9:47 pm

I use a tablet instead of a laptop, so I’m a big advocate of touch screen. Especially for typing. It’s quite a bit easier than pushing keys. If it’s the same price, I say go for it. You might end up really liking it.

• ryan-berhar

October 17, 2019 at 3:47 pm

It really all depends on what you plan to do with it. I like Macs in general, but they’re not good for gaming. As far as touchscreen, if you’re not gonna use it, I don’t see much point. But if it’s the same price, it doesn’t hurt to have an additional feature.

• survivinglife

October 17, 2019 at 5:02 pm

I agree with Ryan. It depends on what you use it for. I use my tablet/laptop for everyday purposes like Google, messaging, news, learning languages, games, etc. I really like it cuz sometimes I’m too tired or weak to use it as a laptop so my nurse takes the keyboard off and I use it as a tablet, which is easier. Also, the tablet allows me to do things while laying down. But an actual laptop like a Mac is better for writing screenplays/books, editing YouTube videos, computer programming, etc.