SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA Let’s Foster More Acceptance

• Let’s Foster More Acceptance

Posted by brianna-albers on June 3, 2019 at 7:00 am

Happy Monday, everyone! I can’t believe it’s already June!

I thought I’d throw a link up to Alyssa’s latest column. In “Let’s Foster More Acceptance,” she describes an encounter with a barista who wouldn’t take her order until Alyssa’s assistant arrived. She assumed that, as a result of physical disability, Alyssa couldn’t speak for herself. She walked away feeling disheartened.

This kind of treatment is all too common in the disability community, and I’m glad Alyssa wrote about it. She says in the column that, because she’s dealt with similar situations her entire life, she’s come to expect it. It is, in many ways, part of her programming. However, Alyssa argues that, “In a world where judgment and inequality are becoming the norm, it’s important to be more mindful of how we treat others.”

Have you experienced something similar? If so, how did you deal with the situation?

brianna-albers replied 4 years, 10 months ago 4 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • adnan-hafizovic

June 3, 2019 at 11:44 am

It’s sad, but that’s our reality. Sometimes I think some people who see me on the street or restaurant, think what this guy want here, why he is not in the hospital bed or at home.

• brianna-albers

June 7, 2019 at 3:04 pm

I’ve felt similarly! It’s frustrating, and really just alienating. I get down if I think about it too much.

• ryan-berhar

June 3, 2019 at 6:31 pm

Unfortunately, people tend to make assumptions about people in wheelchairs. Such as maybe we’re non verbal or affected mentally. It’d definitely be nice if people would stop assuming that’s the case. I was happy to see this issue included in the movie The Upside. Maybe it will help change the stereotype.

• brianna-albers

June 7, 2019 at 3:05 pm

I haven’t seen The Upside yet! I’ll have to add it to my list. Glad to see there’s some positive representation!

• halsey-blocher

June 3, 2019 at 9:15 pm

Unfortunately, I’m also very used to these kinds of things. People frequently talk to my caregivers instead of me or ask them questions about me. I’m not sure why people seem to equate being in a wheelchair to either having a severe cognitive disability or being unable to speak. Some of my nurses will kindly inform people who do this that I can answer or they just wait for me to answer even though I wasn’t the one spoken to. My family tend to take the same approach as well.

• brianna-albers

June 7, 2019 at 3:07 pm

Ugh, I’m sorry to hear that! But it’s great that your parents and caregivers direct people’s attention to you. I’ve found that sometimes people just need a gentle reminder.