SMA News Forums Forums Assistive Technology Life hack suggestions?

Tagged: 

• Life hack suggestions?

Posted by deann-r on March 29, 2024 at 10:04 am

Do you have a creative way to remove caps from markers? I have a project I’m procrastinating on just because of this challenge.  

Are there any other useful life hacks I should know about?

eric-ovelgone replied 2 weeks, 1 day ago 3 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • eric-ovelgone

April 4, 2024 at 2:31 pm

As an artist, I frequently have difficulty opening marker caps. Am sure I can build a better solution, but typically I take a pair of sharp scissors, grip with the blades right at the end of the cap and use the scissors leverage to pop off the cap. The good news…this usually works. The bad news…the cap typically shoots across the room like a rocket. Try to aim someplace where can easily retrieve the cap and keep spare caps in case marker cap shoots behind a sofa. If this doesn’t work, a loop around a marker with a clip (like a sharpie) sometimes works. Loop string over cap under clip, find something sturdy like a door handle of door, and play tug of war with door. Lid usually pops off and again shoots across room.

• deann-r

April 7, 2024 at 8:21 pm

I use the scissors trick quite often. With 3D printers maybe there’d be something that could help, but I’m not creative enough to come up with the solution. What are your favorite art mediums?

• eric-ovelgone

April 16, 2024 at 3:43 pm

Acrylic paint is my favorite. It is versatile, easy to use, and you can make incredible works with it. I do like copic markers, but opening the lids is annoying. I would like to work more with oils as they are the most challenging. Watercolors are great for traveling, easy to pack and clean up after. I use to love computer graphics , but AI has killed that for me.

• dennis-turner

April 9, 2024 at 2:37 pm

Although my friend who is a dentist shudders, my teeth!

I always have them with me.