• Hoyer Lifts

Posted by ryan-berhar-2 on November 8, 2018 at 9:23 pm

I used a Hoyer lift at school, but my family/caregivers have always lifted me. Recently, however, my grandma has been having a touger time lifting me. This means I’ll have to make a transition to a lift. I didn’t care for the lift at school for two reasons.

1. It wasn’t supportive enough for my neck and back, therefore making it a two-person job. Someone operating the lift, and someone supporting my back.

2. It was far more time consuming than lifting me.

Obviously many in the SMA community use lifts, but I’m wondering how/if you avoid the issues I mentioned above? Do you have a certain kind of sling? Have you found a certain type of lift to work well? We’re looking at a ceiling lift.

kevin-schaefer replied 5 years, 5 months ago 5 Members · 9 Replies
  • 9 Replies
  • deann-r

November 8, 2018 at 9:44 pm

I’m looking into a ceiling lift as well.  You can get slings with head support. Unfortunately the one I like has been discontinued so I’ll be looking into new styles as well.  It does take some getting used to, but sure allows more people to be able to help without injuring themselves.

• kevin-schaefer

November 9, 2018 at 9:32 am

Yeah I love my ceiling lift. I too had the same reservations about hoyer lifts, but the ceiling one is much easier to use and it’s much more spacious than the traditional models. I’ll look later to see exactly what sling model I use.

• ryan-berhar-2

November 9, 2018 at 9:05 pm

If either of you could send me pictures of slings that work for you, that’d be fantastic!

• deann-r

November 12, 2018 at 12:36 pm

I don’t exactly have a picture, but the kind I prefer isn’t the u-shaped slings that crosses on your legs.  To me those are uncomfortable and pinchy, but unfortunately not many other options.

• kevin-schaefer

November 12, 2018 at 2:31 pm

Ryan I have a pic somewhere from one of my PT appointments of me transferring. I’ll message you.

• ryan-berhar-2

November 12, 2018 at 9:34 pm

Thanks

• adnan-hafizovic

November 13, 2018 at 11:09 am

I used arjo lift-Maxi Twin Compact,here is link on youtube :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slaiPEjr11Q.

I m satisfied with him ,and i haven t original slings.That my sling have support for head,one taylor made for me,

• halsey-blocher

November 24, 2018 at 12:22 pm

I have a head support on my sling. I can send you a picture later. Which loop on the straps you use also makes a big difference in support and comfort. My PT helped figure out which ones would be best for me. As for the time it takes… There’s really no good way to cut down on that. It gets faster with practice, but it will always take more time than lifting.

• kevin-schaefer

November 24, 2018 at 3:14 pm

That’s a good idea regarding head support. And also about working with your PT to get fitted for a sling and the right kind of lift. And yeah, I agree that the time-consuming aspect is a necessary sacrifice. You get used to it, and it does get faster.