SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA Living With Caution Not Fear

• Living With Caution Not Fear

Posted by deann-r on February 14, 2020 at 11:00 am

For an average person a common cold is more of an annoyance than anything else. When you can’t reach your nose and have a cough that’s less powerful than a drafty window a simple cold can land you in the hospital with pneumonia. That’s just a cold, never mind if we contract something like influenza. I’ve known that virus to take down even the strongest of the human species. Unfortunately, despite best efforts sometimes getting sick is inevitable. Having personal experience being hooked up to a ventilator in the hospital I know firsthand how traumatic those experiences can be. Because of this I take precautions not to get sick. At times I struggle finding the balance of living with caution, not fear. However I’m not going to completely put my life on hold, yet the risks I take need to be calculated.

It’s difficult not to go stir crazy come February. I’ve secluded myself from the general population since probably November. Partially because it’s cold and I hate to bundle up. But mostly to avoid germs. By February I’m ready to chance it, so I’ll go to a movie or run errands with my Mom. When I do those activities I try to do them when it’s least busy like going to the matinee or stopping at a store before the petri dishes, I mean kids, get out of school. It’s probably a good thing I can barely reach my face, but I take extra precautions not to touch things when I’m out. I also bring hand sanitizer.

For the most part family, friends and caregivers know not to come around when they’re sick. Just about every PCA has called out this year. It’s difficult because I rely on their help, but I want to avoid the germs. For my paid caregivers they don’t want to miss out on a paycheck. There’s a delicate balance to keep everyone happy and avoid exposure. I’ve become more insistent on handwashing.

How do you find the balance between living life and avoiding germs?

halsey-blocher replied 4 years, 1 month ago 3 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • alyssa-silva

February 14, 2020 at 11:41 am

I’ve been extra cautious this year just because my nurse friends tell me the hospitals are out of control this year with the flu. And now the coronavirus— I’m all set thanks! Like you, I’m going stir crazy but am also managing. I invite friends over for wine and apps. I have a ton of books in my queue waiting to be read. A friend of mine just got a puppy so I’ve been hanging out at his place a lot. It’s a good excuse to leave the house and not expose myself to germs. I also visit my brother and his family. It’s not necessarily the life I want to have right now— I really miss the outside world— but it’s a good alternative to the risk of getting sick.

• halsey-blocher

February 14, 2020 at 9:32 pm

This time of year definitely gets frustrating. It’s hard to stay in so much, but getting sick is simply not an option. For me, Turnstone is a great solution. I know that everything is cleaned thoroughly and frequently, and there are good sick policies in place that are always enforced. Additionally, the nurse there always lets me know if there have been any reported flu cases anywhere in the building. If there are, I take week off from going, and then check in with her to see if things have improved or not. It’s one place where I generally feel safe during the winter, and it helps keep me from losing my mind due to lack of social interaction. And like you said, lots of hand sanitizer!