SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA Looking ahead to 2022

• Looking ahead to 2022

Posted by deann-r on December 31, 2021 at 11:00 am

After looking back, for me 2021 was a big improvement over 2020. Yes, we’re stillllllll (my mouse just stuck but the error seems appropriate) dealing with the pandemic. But it feels like we have better tools for managing it. Many of us have fallen into a new rhythm that, although isn’t “normal,” is manageable. Now it’s time to look ahead to 2022.

I’m not a resolution person. It feels too rigid resolving to make specific changes. Instead, I like to set goals. Sometimes they work and sometimes they don’t, but it’s a way for me to look to the future and work towards something. Surprisingly I met my goals from last year. Not only did I acquire the Jaco Robotic Arm, but I also automated my home to be more functional for me. It actually took a lot of effort. Without setting the goals I don’t know if I’d have been successful.

Refinement is my goal this year. What does that mean? Well, lots of things. I’d like to refine my Jaco skills to make the most use of it. I’d like to refine my space so it’s as functional as it can be. While I’m at it I’ll work on refining myself. For me I think it means being the best version of me. Whether that means better self-care or shifting my mindset to be okay where I’m at in life. It might be one of those things I figure out as I go.

Do you make resolutions or set goals? What does 2022 look like for you?

deann-r replied 2 years, 3 months ago 3 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • alyssa-silva

January 1, 2022 at 4:05 pm

I’m not much of a long-term goal planner, but I do plan weekly and monthly goals out religiously. Thinking of what I want to accomplish in a year’s time is a little overwhelming to me. So I like to break it down while keeping my core visions in mind.

I have to know what you’ve done for automating your home! I started to dabble in it this last year, but right now all I really have are lights set up. Would love to know more about how to improve in this area. I watch a lot of YouTube videos on home automation but never actually take action on it.

• deann-r

January 1, 2022 at 6:56 pm

That’s a great way to do it too. Small goals can be less intimidating.

Maybe I’ll do a home automation post, but my most recent upgrades are a smart ceiling fan and new smart blinds. Loving them. I’m waiting on a motion sensor. Hoping it’s easy to set up routines with it. If I like it more to come.

• alyssa-silva

January 1, 2022 at 9:13 pm

Nice. I’m actually looking into smart blinds and motion sensors myself. Which blinds did you get and are they worthwhile to you?

• deann-r

January 4, 2022 at 9:05 am

Mine are Bliss brand. Liking them so far. I have them set up on a timer, and that’s really worked out well. Curious to see how long they go before you need to charge them and how hard it will be to walk someone through it.

• micaela-macdougall

January 4, 2022 at 2:16 pm

Similar question as Alyssa – what do you use for your ceiling fan?  I’ve had trouble finding something that could control the light and the fan separately?

• deann-r

January 4, 2022 at 4:35 pm

I’ve never heard of it, but it’s a Carro brand ceiling fan that uses the Carro Home app that’s linked to Alexa. You can use your voice, or the remote, which makes it nice for caregivers. Even nicer for me though because if they forget to turn it off or on I can do it. Yes, you can control the light and fan separately.