SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA Looking for Organization Tips

• Looking for Organization Tips

Posted by deann-r on April 29, 2021 at 2:00 pm

I’m one of those people who love stuff. Unfortunately it’s looking cluttered around here. It’s tough to put things away though. First it’s physically difficult. Secondly I like having what I need within reach. When it’s put away it’s difficult to get to. Do you have any organization tips or solutions? Any cleaning products you love? In the mood for spring cleaning.

adam replied 2 years, 11 months ago 3 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • alyssa-silva

April 29, 2021 at 3:41 pm

What sort of organization tips are you looking for? I love organizing! I have to say that while I may be organized, I’m VERY forgetful and forget where I put things haha. So, I decided to make a master list on my laptop of things I own and where they belong. When I need packaging tape, for example, I can search it in my digital database and tell my caregiver exactly where it is. I don’t know if this is actually useful, but for someone like me who deals with brain fog, it has helped tremendously.

• deann-r

April 30, 2021 at 9:13 am

Thanks Alyssa! Love that tip, but I don’t know if I have the patience to catalog everything. I do take photos with my phone of my craft supplies so I can know what I have and show my caregivers what I’m looking for. Yesterday we tackled a shelf in my bedroom. I used baskets to categorize items, but only a day later I miss what we put away that I can’t reach. Looks better though.

• alyssa-silva

May 1, 2021 at 9:03 am

It did take quite a bit of time for me to do. I like the idea of taking photos too. I do that with the clothes in my closet. Since I can’t sort through it to figure out what I want to wear, I’ll just look through a photo album on my phone and show my caregiver what I want to wear that day.

• deann-r

May 3, 2021 at 10:02 am

Never thought of taking photos for clothes. Interesting idea.

• adam

May 4, 2021 at 8:40 am

Organisation has never been an area I’m good at. But I know where everything is unless someone moved it.

“That thing 3 things to the left of the roundish thing … nup .. nup.. your other left and down a bit. Aye! That’s it!”

I’ve always had a good observation. My grandmother was a snoop and I’d always know if anyone had been in my stuff because I left things “my way”.

It became like a game if mum would tidy my room. She’d try to put everything back perfectly and I’d come home and spot all she touched.

As for clothes back when I cared I remembered my wardrobe. I’m retired now and dress like it lol anyone in Oz needs shirts & ties (so many ties, I loved ties) hit me up – matching cufflinks for some too.

Of course, I know where they all are. Unless someone moved it.

• deann-r

May 5, 2021 at 9:13 am

Even though you don’t wear the ties, don’t you love just having them? I’m like that with earrings. Even though I don’t wear them much (since I can’t reach my ears) in my mind I pick out the pair that would match my outfit even if I don’t put them on.

It’s so frustrating when things don’t get put back in their proper place. Happens more often than not though.

• adam

May 8, 2021 at 12:05 pm

Not really. They’re a reminder. They represent an identity I don’t have anymore.

Same with jewellery. I love it & spent heaps on it but it doesn’t “fit” me any more.

Becoming a lot less about material things.