SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA Looking for PCA Advice

• Looking for PCA Advice

Posted by deann-r on October 18, 2019 at 3:00 pm

The PCA I have for my most difficult shift to fill has been with me for almost a year. Lately she’s been calling out a lot. Actually she’s always called out often, but recently more so. Mainly her excuse is a sick kid. She doesn’t give me any indication that she’s unhappy working here, but I can’t fathom her kid is actually sick that often. This week it happened to be over MEA. Coincidence? I really like working with her, so I want to give her the benefit of the doubt. Furthermore I don’t want to go on a new PCA search if I don’t have to. If she doesn’t want to work here I don’t want to force her to either. It’s just getting difficult to cover her so much. I’m just not sure how to approach the subject with her. Thoughts or ideas?

halsey-blocher replied 4 years, 6 months ago 3 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • ryan-berhar

October 18, 2019 at 5:27 pm

I would probably just tell her that you really appreciate her service and want to keep her, but that going forward you require a bit more consistency. I don’t see anything wrong with that.

• halsey-blocher

October 18, 2019 at 8:51 pm

I agree with Ryan. You might just need to sit down with her and kindly explain your concerns. I’ve had to do this occasionally with a few of my nurses and they’re usually very receptive. If you think it would go better, you could also share your concerns with the agency that she works for and ask them to speak to her with you or on your behalf.