SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA Managing Caregiver Hours

• Managing Caregiver Hours

Posted by ryan-berhar-2 on December 8, 2018 at 11:55 pm

I’m slowly working on getting caregivers besides my family. The part I’m sort of stuck on is how do you balance having someone just sitting there next to you for hours (something I don’t want or need) with giving the caregiver enough hours for it to be financially viable for them? Like I can’t imagine anyone being willing to come to my house for an hour, or maybe even two or three, at a time. But I don’t want someone sitting next to me for eight hours. Then again, I could need something at any moment. It’s a dilemma. I recognize that we all require different levels of care, but for those of you who are similar to me, how do you solve this? If at all.

deann-r replied 5 years, 4 months ago 4 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • deann-r

December 9, 2018 at 8:47 am

This can definitely be tricky.  The longer shifts can be easier to fill, but it wasn’t what I wanted.  Much of the time I’m anxiously awaiting my PCA to come (especially if something is out of reach.)  When we have our tasks done I can’t wait for their shift to be over, so I really wouldn’t want them hanging around for hours.  For a long time I had one who would come over her lunch break, then again after work.  It was perfect for her schedule.  A lot of times I get college students who have a couple hours open here & there but don’t want those long shifts.  Currently I do two hour shifts during the day. I have a gal who has a client before me, so it works for her to just stop after.  If you do have someone for longer shifts with a lot of down time I would recommend letting them know they can bring a book or something to occupy their time, but stress after you’ve finished all tasks.

It’s certainly an adjustment that requires extra planning on our part.  I have to have a plan for my day, so I know what I need within reach.  I have to decide what beverages I want out, and when to drink them according to when someone’s going to be here for a bathroom break.  One thing I’ve learned as well is needing something and wanting something are two different things.  Most of the time I can live without it for a few hours.  Inevitably I drop something right after my PCA leaves, but more often than not I can manage without it.  When no one is around I’m very conscious of my positioning and movement.  I try to avoid situations that would get me stuck.

Hope that helps.  Everyone is different, so what works for me may not work in your situation, but hopefully it’ll give you some ideas you can work with.

• kevin-schaefer

December 9, 2018 at 1:19 pm

Great question Ryan. This is something all of us have to think about, and it’s often frustrating.

First off, you decide what hours you want. Once you hire someone, you won’t be their only source of income. Most caregivers are part-time and usually have other jobs. Even if they do it full-time, they tend to have multiple clients. I would say most of them prefer shorter shifts that are in the 2-3 hour range, because it’s easier to fit into their schedules than an 8-hour overnight shift. I would actually recommend you start with shorter shifts to get used to it.

As far as what it’s like having a PCA at your house when you don’t have a ton for them to do, it varies. My caregiver Randy and a few other caregivers I’ve had hit it off right away, and we have a lot of shared interests. I had one in college who would come at night, watch tv with me for a while, and then get me to bed. Randy and I are very similar. With caregivers like that, we pass the time really easily. I had another guy for about a year who was from Nigeria (I’ve had a couple caregivers from Africa). We were from very different cultures and didn’t really have any common interests, but he was the nicest guy. We got along really well, and we even learned some about each other’s cultures. He wasn’t a big movie/tv guy, but he did get a kick out of watching Jimmy Fallon with me haha. And if I ever needed to do something or just relax while he was here, he was totally fine letting me read or watch tv while he did schoolwork. He’s in grad school now, and we keep in touch on Facebook.

Really, once you find the right caregiver or caregivers, this part will become less daunting. Randy and I have become brothers through working together, and all my friends and family love him. And like brothers, we annoy the mess out of each other haha.

Keep in mind too that your parents will be there as well as backup. Sometimes you may hire someone and they end up not working out. That’s ok. You just move on to the next one when that happens. It’s all overwhelming at first, but you’ve got to give it a try. I hope that helps.

• halsey-blocher

December 9, 2018 at 9:44 pm

My caregivers tend work longer shifts and generally enjoy having some down time during their shifts. Most of them see coming to work as an escape from stress actually. If you go for longer shift just make sure you always encourage them to bring something that they will enjoy doing like a book or their laptop. Kevin also mentioned a caregiver who studied which is a great option. I’ve had many nurses who did homework while at work. And as you get to know them, chances are you’ll spend lots of time chatting or finding other activities that you both enjoy. I have a nurse who has discovered she loves Mario kart (even though she pretty bad at it) and another loves to help me cook. I’ve even had nurses who will be very excited to sit and color together for hours. I had one always marveled at the fact she got payed while coloring. And eventually you might find that you both just enjoy some companionable silence. At the end of the day, you’ll just have to see what ends up working for you and each individual caregiver. And remember not everyone will be a good fit for you and that’s perfectly okay.

• deann-r

December 10, 2018 at 11:29 am

That’s funny Halsey, I like doing crafts and when one of my PCA’s went home with ink on her hands I guess her husband couldn’t believe she got paid for doing crafts.

• ryan-berhar-2

December 9, 2018 at 11:55 pm

Thanks for the comments everyone.