SMA News Forums Forums Diagnosis​ Info ​and​ ​General​ ​Questions Medicare and Medicaid: what you need to know

• Medicare and Medicaid: what you need to know

Posted by sma-news-today-moderator on May 29, 2018 at 12:27 pm

Medical costs are expensive, especially for patients with SMA. If you’re unable to work, and thus keep a steady income, you may find it difficult to pay your bills and fees. However, for those in the U.S., programs like Medicare and Medicaid might help to alleviate some of your financial pressure.

Learn more about these two types of insurance here: “Medicare and Medicaid: What You Need to Know

How do you pay for your medical expenses? Are you accessing private insurance or programs like Medicare and Medicaid?

deann-r replied 5 years, 10 months ago 3 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • kevin-schaefer

May 29, 2018 at 2:11 pm

This article does a nice job summarizing the differences between Medicaid and Medicare. I’m just on Medicaid, and it does help with covering a lot of my medical expenses. There are restrictions with it of course, but they do cover things like my Spinraza treatments and a portion of my caregiving expenses. I’m also still able to work as a freelancer and retain Medicaid.

• deann-r

June 18, 2018 at 8:55 am

Currently I have Medicare as primary and Medicaid as secondary.  It’s definitely beneficial to have both.  For me Medicaid has picked up what Medicare hasn’t covered.  Thankfully I haven’t had much for out of pocket medical expenses.  I have noticed it’s been taking longer to get approval for DME and there are not as many providers that accept Medicaid.