SMA News Forums Forums SMA News Today Multimedia SMA News Today’s YouTube Michael’s Last Spinraza Injection

• alyssa-silva

July 28, 2020 at 8:44 am

Such an exciting time. Any nerves about starting this new treatment? I have terrible GI issues so a part of me is hesitant. Things could change, but I think I plan on observing others’ progress before jumping in myself.

• teri-taylor

July 28, 2020 at 11:57 am

We are changing my grandson Charleston from Spinraza to Risdiplam. While Spinraza has helped him, it’s also given him seizures. We are hoping the seizures at least diminish with Risdiplam.

• alyssa-silva

July 28, 2020 at 1:55 pm

How scary Teri! Since risdiplam is entering a different system of the body, perhaps it will help.

• teri-taylor

July 28, 2020 at 3:35 pm

Alyssa, it’s very scary. His seizures are very, very serious (i.e., helicopter rides to hospitals)…..but he’s pulled through so far. He’s a super weak Type 1 but has a very strong will to live!!!!!! Most kids around his age (type 1’s) are getting seizures, but the company refuses to list it as a side affect.

• michael-morale

July 28, 2020 at 4:43 pm

Teri – I’ve never really heard of children suffering from seizures with regards to their Spinraza injections, but if your son didn’t have seizures before starting Spinraza, there may be a correlation.

I agree with Alyssa when she said that risdiplam will be going to a different part of the body. Since risdiplam is going to be an oral treatment, that can also be administered through a G-tube, you might see a difference, but I would definitely talk to your son’s pediatric neurologist. I’m hoping that we hear something in the next few weeks with regards to the FDA decision regarding the approval of risdiplam.

Please keep us updated, and let us know if we can help in anyway.