SMA News Forums Forums Awareness and Advocacy Disability in Media Motivation Monday: Check Out “Crip Camp” on Netflix

• Motivation Monday: Check Out “Crip Camp” on Netflix

Posted by kevin-schaefer on March 30, 2020 at 11:00 am

Hey everyone! Hope you’re all staying safe, and that no one’s going stir crazy.

Since we’re all on lockdown, I wanted to recommend a Netflix documentary. Crip Camp is now streaming, and I watched it the other night. This film provides a glimpse into the disability rights movement, and it features several prominent disability activists.

Executive produced by Barack and Michelle Obama, Crip Camp tells the story of a summer camp in the 50s and 60s for teens with disabilities. Camp Janed took place around the same time as Woodstock, and it reflected the same kind of social revolution. Teens at this camp played rock music, smoked, and engaged in sexual relationships. Needless to say, it was a little different from MDA camp.

The first half of the film focuses on the actual camp, and then it explores how many of the participants became pioneers of the disability rights movement. At the forefront is Judy Heumann, whose advocacy led to the passing of section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act. This film covers a lot of ground, but directors Jim Lebrecht and Nicole Newnham do a phenomenal job telling a cohesive story.

Has anyone else here seen the movie? I’d love to discuss it with you all!

abby replied 4 years ago 3 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • alyssa-silva

March 30, 2020 at 11:59 am

I haven’t seen it yet but have been seeing a lot of buzz about it! Definitely going to watch it this week.

• abby

March 30, 2020 at 1:54 pm

I can’t wait to watch it this week!  If anyone wants to do a Netflix hang out or have a mini screening party we should!