SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA Motivation Monday: Developing a New At-Home Exercise Routine

• Motivation Monday: Developing a New At-Home Exercise Routine

Posted by kevin-schaefer on April 20, 2020 at 11:00 am

Hey everyone! Hope you all had a safe and relaxing weekend.

So, I came up with a new at-home exercise routine yesterday morning. I’ll do a video about this for our YouTube channel, and write a column about it, but I attached a pic from my phone here. As you can see, I used my electric ceiling lift as a weight to push. The lift is attached to a rail on my ceiling. It comes with a pole that my parents and caregivers use to get the lift on and off the rail. I had my caregiver slide the pole through an opening on the lift, and then put my hands on the pole. This opening on the lift is used to attach the sling that I use for transfers.

I know this is just a sneak peek here, but I felt a surge of energy after doing this exercise. It felt great to try, especially since I can’t go to aquatic therapy right now. My body felt the repercussions of staying at home and not exercising, and I knew I needed to do something. Developing an exercise routine that I can do at home and independently is incredibly liberating.

Do you have any exercise routines of your own? Are there any tools at home you can use to exercise?

kevin-schaefer replied 3 years, 11 months ago 3 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • halsey-blocher

April 20, 2020 at 9:19 pm

Fortunately, I already had a good home therapy routine in place. It’s all passive range of motion. Since I’m not going to therapy, I’m doing my home routine more often. However I am starting to miss some of the adaptive exercise equipment that I don’t have access to at home.

• kevin-schaefer

April 21, 2020 at 1:42 pm

That’s great Halsey! Yeah, it’s definitely not the same as doing PT in person, but it helps to do some kind of physical activity.

• mike-huddleston

April 21, 2020 at 6:25 pm

Hey Kevin. Hope you’re doing well. Nice adaptation. 🙂

Fortunately I already have a LOT of exercise equipment at home, including weights, straps (therabands), exercise balls, a NuStep recumbent stepper as well as a Shuttle Mini Press leg press machine.  I do light weights and a host of stretching and ROM exercises.  These workouts last between 2 and 3 hours per day.  I have been doing weekly tele-health PT sessions on Fridays since my last in office visit toward the end of March.  Not the same by far, but my PT has been able to observe and provide feedback and recommendations.  Recent recommended additions were for PNF (Google it because I can’t spell it!) exercises.  Would be wiling to share more details if you or anyone else is interested.

• kevin-schaefer

April 23, 2020 at 10:35 am

Thanks Mike! Hope you’re doing well too. I’ll definitely check these out. Also my video on this routine will go up today.

Best,

Kevin