SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA Motivation Monday: Eating Healthier

• Motivation Monday: Eating Healthier

Posted by kevin-schaefer on October 7, 2019 at 11:00 am

Hey everyone! Hope you all had a great weekend.

For today’s Motivation Monday post, I want to talk about eating healthier. In all honesty, this is something I struggle with. I’m a hard worker, I love to read, and I have a good social life. Yet, the aspect of my health that I struggle with the most is eating well. I eat out too much, and I consume a lot of junk food.

Right now, I’m trying to take small steps in this area. Instead of chips and cookies, I’m making celery sticks with peanut butter one of my primary snacks. Then when I’m out, I’m ordering more grilled foods instead of fried.

Do you have any tips or strategies for eating healthy?

ryan-berhar replied 4 years, 5 months ago 3 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • deann-r

October 8, 2019 at 11:21 am

Eating healthy is tough. I’m certainly on the “chunky monkey” side of SMA. Spinraza has seemingly increased my appetite (in my opinion.) Working on portion control could help. Not easy, but at least then you can still enjoy the foods you like, just not as much of it. The mentality that you have to clean your plate isn’t necessarily true. I always felt wasteful not eating everything, but I’m learning it’s not a crime. I’m also trying not to do impulse purchases of food that just looks good.

• kevin-schaefer

October 8, 2019 at 2:23 pm

I know what you mean. Aside from when I was younger and when I got sick a lot in elementary school, I’ve also been on the “chunky-monkey” side for most of my teenage and young adult years. It’s tough, but you have some good tips here. I’m also a notorious stress eater, so it helps when I’m not stressed haha. My weekly water therapy sessions help a lot in this area.

• ryan-berhar

October 8, 2019 at 10:24 pm

I struggle to eat physically, and I also have a small appetite, so it’s not really an issue for me. I don’t eat much by mouth. Most of my nutrition is from a feeding tube. I guess I don’t eat the healthiest food in the world, but I don’t eat enough for it to make much difference. I don’t like that eating is a struggle, but I guess in a way it’s a good thing, as I don’t have to worry about diet