• Sponsored Post

Planes, Trains, & Accessible Travel With SMA

Talk to your doctor to determine if you or your child is fit to travel.

Traveling with a child is never easy. Traveling with a child in a wheelchair is an extra challenge. The first time Leah flew on an airplane, she was six months old, almost a year before she was diagnosed. We have always been a traveling family and once she was diagnosed, we were both hopeful and determined that it wouldn’t hold us back.

I have always flown with Leah by myself, just the two of us. Call me crazy; it’s OK, I am. There are some things we have learned that have made it so much easier for us.

• This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Halsey Blocher 1 week ago.

• Author
       Kevin Schaefer 
      Keymaster

Hey everyone! Hope you all had a great weekend.

For today’s Motivation Monday post, I wanted to talk about getting out of the house. As SMAers, it’s obviously much easier for us to sit at home on our days off. Getting out can often be a hassle for us, especially during the wintertime. Then when you factor in things like transportation and accessibility, it takes extensive effort to work around these obstacles.

Still, I believe that getting out and experiencing the world around us is worth the effort. Just stepping outside (or rolling) for a few moments a day is good for anyone’s health, as noted in this Psychology Today article. A simple breath of fresh air does wonders for our mental and physical health.

For me, it’s little things that help. On Saturday, I chose to stay at home and watch too much TV, and I felt lousy as a result. I still got a fair amount of reading and writing done, but I stayed inside all day and night. Then on Sunday, I took my dog for a walk in the morning, and in the afternoon I hung out at my local comic shop for a few hours. Just these simple activities made me feel better and more refreshed than I did on Saturday. It helped too that the weather in North Carolina this weekend was fantastic.

I just wanted to encourage you all to spend just a little bit of time outdoors this week, if possible. Something as simple as a visit to a coffee shop could give you a solid energy boost.

What’s something you can do this week to get out? Is there a place you could go to regularly?

Halsey Blocher 
      Participant

I absolutely relate to feeling refreshed when I get out for a while. I just got home from a book club at Barnes & Noble (they do it at every location if anyone’s interested) and had such a wonderful time! It was only an hour, but it felt so good to get out and do something out of my normal routine! And I always love discussing books.

Theres also a Starbucks in walking distance from my house, so I enjoy going there sometimes when the weather is nice. It makes for a nice treat.

Kevin Schaefer 
        Keymaster

I love going to Barnes & Noble! There’s one right by my house I go to all the time.

DeAnn R 
      Keymaster

How do y’all avoid getting sick when you go out?  It seems like when I do more activities I end up catching a bug.  It doesn’t stop me from doing stuff, but I’m much more hesitant.

Kevin Schaefer 
        Keymaster

That part is tricky, and it kind of depends on the place. Bookstores and movie theaters are usually pretty safe for me, as I don’t have to come into direct, physical contact with people. I am going to an outdoor concert next weekend, and events like that with big crowds are definitely risky. Still, sometimes the experience is worth the risk.

Halsey Blocher 
        Participant

Absurd amounts of hand sanitizer! Other than that, there is really only so much you can do. Obviously, avoid people that I know are ill and limit outing during the flu season. After that I just hope for the best.

Patrick Lenihan 
      Participant

I have a 4 year old high energy lab so staying in isn’t really an option. I often walk him or go with my s/o to watch her exercise him at the dog park or in the bay. I like to hang out in the yard with my s/o as she works in the garden. I like to go to our local deli and our weekly farmers market.  I love going to many of the local breweries and having a pint in the outdoor bier gardens. When the weather is colder I love having a drink with friends sitting outside around my propane fire pit. I live in a very walkable neighborhood in a city with good public transit so getting out isn’t that difficult for me. Most of the leisure activities I  enjoy require me to leave the house.

Kevin Schaefer 
        Keymaster

Nice! Yeah it definitely helps to have places like that to go to regularly.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2019 KLEO Template a premium and multipurpose theme from Seventh Queen

CONTACT US

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Sending
    or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account

Copyright © 2017-2019 All rights reserved.