SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA Motivation Monday: Reading

• Motivation Monday: Reading

Posted by kevin-schaefer on November 18, 2019 at 11:17 am

Hey everyone! Hope you all had a great weekend.

For this week’s Motivation Monday post, I have a simple, but important topic. Anyone who’s seen my posts here or read my columns knows that I’m a bookworm. I’ve made it through some of the hardest times in my life by reading. Books and stories have the power to inspire, teach, entertain, motivate, and more.

I know I sound cheesy here, but I wouldn’t be who I am today without the books I’ve read over the years. Memoirs especially have had a huge impact on my writing and general mindset. Even on busy days, I carve out at least a few minutes to read something.

What kind of books do you enjoy? Do you find reading to be a source of motivation?

survivinglife replied 4 years, 5 months ago 4 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • alyssa-silva

November 18, 2019 at 2:15 pm

I’m with ya. Books always pull me out of a rut, but it wasn’t until a few years ago I started to enjoy reading. I don’t know why!

I predominately read nonfiction— memoirs and self-help books. But, not too “self-helpy” if that makes sense haha, I don’t want to feel like I’m being preached to. One of my favorite authors is Bob Goff, I reread his books a lot when I find I need to re-center myself and get inspired.

• halsey-blocher

November 18, 2019 at 9:11 pm

I really can’t properly express how much I love books! I will read almost anything and can appreciate even the ones I didn’t like. While I dabble in every genre, my favorites are sci-fi, fantasy, and historical fiction. I hate going more than a day without reading something good. Books really seem to help me focus, and I love the thrilling feeling of getting lost in a story!

• survivinglife

November 19, 2019 at 5:24 pm

Oh jeez… the list of genres I don’t like would be shorter, but even then, sometimes I enjoy books in my least favorite genres too. Like Give Me Liberty – I don’t really like those kinds of books but I LOVED that one. I guess I mostly read fantasy, romance, and Godly books, but I also love educational books.